• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue Fail2ban

Oliver Marugg

Basic Pleskian
Hi
Plesk 12.5.30-37 ubuntu14.04:

a. In fail2ban.log I have following error_:
fail2ban.filter [1506]: WARNING Error decoding line from '/var/log/mail.log' with 'ANSI_X3.4-1968'. Consider setting logencoding=utf-8 (or another appropriate encoding) for this jail. Continuing to process line ignoring invalid characters:

/etc/fail2ban/jails.local
added logencoding=utf-8
I've restarted fail2ban, but cant say if it works now. Because no new log entries are shown.

b. I tried to enter logencoding=utf-8 into fail2ban jail "plesk-dovecot". But no success.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

oliver

I received the same message a few days ago. Seems like Fail2Ban can't read some characters in the log or something like that.

Hi Oliver Marugg,

consider to use inside the DEFAULT - section at "/etc/fail2ban/jail.conf" :

Code:
[DEFAULT]
# "logencoding" specifies the encoding of the log files handled by the jail
#   This is used to decode the lines from the log file.
#   Typical examples:  "ascii", "utf-8"
#
#   auto:   will use the system locale setting
# logencoding = auto
logencoding = utf-8

... to avoid entries in several jails, which are "normally" setup with UTF-8 - encoding in their corresponding service - configuration - files by default. Pls. check as well your "system locale settings" and always restart Fail2Ban, if you changed a standart setting.

Hi MMagnani,

you can certainly use as well "/etc/fail2ban/jail.local", to make sure, that no (automatic ) updates/upgrades/patches overwrite your setting.

Back