• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Failed to renew SSL certificate with Let's encrypt extension

Dirk Illenberger

New Pleskian
Hi there,

I am using Plesk Onyx on an Ubuntu Linux to manage a couple of web sites. For most of the domains I use the Plesk "Let's encrypt" extension to manage SSL certificates. This used to work fine until recently when I received an error message that a certificate could not be renewed. I tried to to it manually by clicking on the "Renew" button in the "Let's encrypt" plesk extension. And again I got the same error message:

[2019-08-05 16:59:42.382] ERR [extension/letsencrypt] Domain validation failed for immo-wertschoepfung.de: Invalid response from https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/authz/ZwkvjOm1v7CHb2Ocms2N73pSkhaYegH90fkqgX4_FW8.
Details:
Type: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:connection
Detail: Fetching https://immo-wertschoepfung.de/.wel...e/J2Ixl-3TYR5XFC3LMl7-gJgVBu8nrmPFs1xeiedcnTY: Timeout during connect (likely firewall problem)

I did a bit of research and here are my results:

I haven't done any recent changes on the server apart from standard updates.

I googled for a while and found out that quite a few people have the same problem but I could not work out how to solve it in my case. So I very much appreciate any ideas and help from you guys.

Regards,
Dirk.

Hi Igor,

thank you very much for your answer. The nmap und dig tests were successful. In the article you referred to it says that it could also be a 30x redirection. In fact, I have such a redirection. So I removed it, tried to renew the certificate and it worked!!

I thought this was strange so I tried to renew certificates of other domains without removing the redirection. This worked perfectly. So, I really don't know what is different in the domain that didn't work but I am really happy that I have a way to renew the certificate.

Therefore, thank you very much Igor for pointing out this article.
Regards,
Dirk.

Back