• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

File Permission Issues

K

kellied

Hello Parallels Community,

I am unsure exactly what's happened on our server but it appears after the most recent update to Plesk, file permissions have been damaged or changed.

I initially thought this was a Drupal issue since most of the issues I faced where inside of Drupal Modules such as file path settings where it specified where a file would be saved. But now when I try to import feeds on drupal, it tells me File upload error. Could not move uploaded file.

So, I am assuming this is a much larger issue.

I've gone into SSH and turned off Safe Mode and changed the php to run as FastCGI but it didn't help. I'm wondering if anyone out there has any solutions or has help they can offer.

It would be very useful if you find any related errors in logs, etc.

Sure!

Here are the errors I'm getting from Drupal. I'm investigating how to gain access to the errors placed on the server:

The file permissions could not be set on public://feeds.

Upload error. Could not move uploaded file user.csv to destination public://feeds/user_0.csv.

Any suggestions?

similar problem

I was running into a similar file/folder ownership error with Wordpress Installations.

Think I've solved it but running PHP as CGI application instead of Apache. You might want to create a new service plan to test this. Under the Hosting Parameters of the service plan under scripting change the run PHP as to CGI or FastCGI and setup a test domain to see if you still have the problem.

Not sure if this will Solve the problem with Drupal but it appears to have for Wordpress.

Running PHP as fast-CGI is great solution. Especially if you have other people on your server that you want to keep restricted to their directories. What happens is the apache will run as their user. This makes permissions very simple.

You can also just change the permissions on directories that the CMS needs to write to (for user uploads, cache files, etc..). For Drupal is in sites/default/files and tmp/ directories.

On CentOS Apache will write as the apache group. On Debian/Ubuntu its the www-data group.

Last edited:
Back