• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

findutils upgrade problem, during PSA/Debian upgrade - Operation not permitted

J

joda

'm running several Debian and Ubuntu servers, but today i got a bad problem on my hands.

I was doing a apt-get dist-upgrade and the package findutils needed to be upgraded to version 4.2.28-1.

During the upgrade the following shows in the apt-get log.

Unpacking findutils (from .../findutils_4.2.28-1etch1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/findutils_4.2.28-1etch1_i386.deb (--unpack):
unable to make backup link of `./usr/bin/find' before installing new version: Operation not permitted
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/findutils_4.2.28-1etch1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

As i wrote in the beginning of this thread, I'm running several servers both Debian and Ubuntu - and they are all operating on the same level, using the same software, all running STABLE (etch) - and yet, this server was the only one reporting any problems.

# ls -la /usr/bin/find
-rwxr-xr-x 1 122 114 59536 Aug 6 2006 /usr/bin/find

In the error, the /usr/bin/find file should be the problem - please not the owner:group on the file. I can NOT move, rename, delete, change permissions or even change owner:group on this file, and the reason is unknown.
- I have stopped all running processes like apache, bind, postfix etc - and i have even rebooted the server several times, hoping that might solve my problem.

But here I am, writing to you guys - Any sugestions, ideas?

Note: PSA did not upgrade during this upgrade, the system failed prior to configuration of the PSA downloaded upgrade-files.

Johnny Damtoft

Back