• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Firewall activation error

M

msibley

When trying to set the firewall, upon clicking the Activate button, I get the following error:

Could not activate firewall configuration

safeact: /usr/local/psa/var/modules/firewall/firewall0new.sh failed:
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name

I'm running 7.5.4-fc2.build75050824.12

firewall 1.0.1

Originally posted by msibley
When trying to set the firewall, upon clicking the Activate button, I get the following error:

Could not activate firewall configuration

safeact: /usr/local/psa/var/modules/firewall/firewall0new.sh failed:
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name

I'm running 7.5.4-fc2.build75050824.12

firewall 1.0.1

What is your OS and Kernel versioin number? I had the same problem on RH9 Kernel 2.4.0.2

The problem was that this version of kernel does not truly support tables in IPTABLES. I am on a VPS and my provider (GoDaddy) says that their system does not support upgrading the kernel. To find what exactly what won't work for you, open the file "firewall0new.sh" and using #/sbin/iptables command, enter each line of the script one at a time, then you can see exactly what lines are not compatible.

Redhat 2.4.20-021stab028.3.777-enterprise

It is also a godaddy VDS

Then you probably have the same problem I had. The following commands in the script will not work with the kernel version and iptables version that you have:

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp ! --syn -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
/sbin/iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp ! --syn -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
/sbin/iptables -P FORWARD DROP
/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp ! --syn -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state INVALID -j DROP

The iptables will not accept the "-m state --state" and "--syn" commands.

If you would like a copy of the firewall script that I use, I will send it to you in a private message. I do not want to post it here.

Re: Re: Firewall activation error

Originally posted by jwdick
What is your OS and Kernel versioin number? I had the same problem on RH9 Kernel 2.4.0.2

Is this the reason for:
===============
Could not activate firewall configuration:
safeact: /usr/local/psa/modules/firewall/firewall-new.sh failed:
iptables: Memory allocation problem.
===============
too? Incompatibility?
Linux 2.4.20-021stab028.18.777-enterprise (FedoraCore 2)

I cannot answer this as a definite since this is not the error message that I received, but I know that the psa-firewall is not compatible with Kernel 2.4.20

Check your boot.log to see if the psa-firewall is even enabled. I have the following message in my boot log:

Jan 7 14:18:56 domainname psa-firewall: psa-firewall: service is disabled
Jan 7 14:18:56 domainname rc: Starting psa-firewall: failed

I can send you a copy of the script that I use also. The script is 2500 characters and private messages limit the size to 1000 characters. You can send me your email address in a PM and I will forward you what I have that I know works.

Haha, its disabled:
Jan 9 03:09:17 psa-firewall: psa-firewall: service is disabled
Jan 9 03:09:17 rc: Starting psa-firewall: failed
So, how do i enable it?

It just said the service is disabled when I tried to start it..... Maybe my hosting disabled the module? Which is a bit stupid seeing that the module is visible in Plesk lol

I think it is probably disabled because the psa-firewall is not compatible with your kernel version.

PedestersPlanet, may I ask what hosting service you are on? Godaddy?

I would definately go with a more robust firewall config than that offered by plesk. We tried it for a while but were having problems with it loading the correct set of rules - sometimes it loaded the rules we configured, other times it simply didn't load anything.

Your much better off using an iptables firewall.

PedestersPlanet, may I ask what hosting service you are on? Godaddy?
I'm in England , I use WebFusion(.co.uk)

I have heard a lot about GoDaddy, that isn't very reassuring.

Why you ask?

The reason I ask is because this is a new VDS account with Godaddy. I'm just flabbergasted that they set up a server with Plesk in a way that had incompatibilities. Why have the Firewall module installed if it isn't going to work. How much time have I wasted trying to figure out how to use it? Plus we've had numerous other problems (memory allocation, etc.) and they have not been very supportive.

The reason I ask is because this is a new VDS account with Godaddy. I'm just flabbergasted that they set up a server with Plesk in a way that had incompatibilities. Why have the Firewall module installed if it isn't going to work. How much time have I wasted trying to figure out how to use it? Plus we've had numerous other problems (memory allocation, etc.) and they have not been very supportive.
I understand your concerns, I too have problems with mine - events fail to trigger, mysqld crashes or is too slow..... Slow connection...... etc....

The mysqld crashing is a bugger, as Plesk relies on it 100%, so when mysqld goes down, so does the crons (hence i cant use a script to check if mysql crashed, so i cant restart it lol).. So my server is stuffed u until i manually start mysqld again!.....:(

Its not just you....

I think the admins arent that well trained with these things.. I had/have to use Google to find solutions myself......

Anyone have any ideas on a possible firewall that might work with the same fedora version on Godaddy? I'm thinking if killerwall.net?

Back