• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

For security reason backup is performed on behalf of subscription system user....

Pagemakers

Silver Pleskian
I thought this problem was fixed in Plesk 11.5 but I'm still getting the following backup warnings in Plesk 12..."For security reason backup is performed on behalf of subscription system user...."

My phpbb forum creates cache files which have apache ownership and Plesk backup manager gives warnings that it cannot backup the files due to ownership errors.

I have searched for days for a solution without success. If I change the permissions to owner instead of apache the forums don't function correctly.

Is this a Plesk bug that is still evident in Plesk 12?

Yes I have tried that several times and it does not work.

Directories have 777 permissions, but files in this directories were created by PHP scripts with permissions 600 and owner apache:apache.

Last edited:
Igor any more help on this? Every evening I am getting the following errors on a phpbb bulletin board’s cache folder. We have tried everything to fix this problem but the cache files area always created with apache:apache permissions.

Is it not possible to either configure backup to skip the cache directory on this domain or force plesk to backup files with apache permissions?

Screen_Shot_2014-08-27_at_08_42_45.png

Another issue which I think is a Plesk bug - Every time there is an error this warning is displayed. The problem is, the error never clears or over-writes itself on the page. If you don’t check the backups for say 100 days, you would have 100 lines of the following message!!!

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 08.41.32.png

Please post here full output of following command:

# namei -om <full path to file which can't be backuped>

And tell me php mode of this domain - apache module or fastcgi?

1__root_pagemakers-server2____ssh_.png

The php mode for the domain is apache module. However, if we change the mode to fastcgi, the backup will perform OK, but the forums then prevent users from remaining logged in. IE: you move away form the forum page and return to it and you are immediately logged out. It’s messes up the session some how and we have spent hours trying to fit it without success.

Do you have enabled SELinux? What is your OS version?
And show me output of

# md5sum /usr/local/psa/PMM/agents/PleskX/Packer.pm

But please post it as text! Not image.

Our backup developers can't reproduce this issue on test servers.

SELinux status: disabled (but it has never been enabled and this forum has been on this server for years and has backup up with no previous issues).

Parallels Plesk v12.0.18_build1200140606.15 os_CentOS 6
CentOS 6.4 (Final)

md5sum /usr/local/psa/PMM/agents/PleskX/Packer.pm
dce5650daae6bdb9cc69eeadb9af451c /usr/local/psa/PMM/agents/PleskX/Packer.pm

Thank you. Sorry but we can't reproduce this issue on our test server with the same OS and Plesk version. For investigation directly on your server I suggest you contact Support Team.

Tried that at got nowhere :(

Is possible to either configure backup to skip the cache directory on this domain or force plesk to backup files with apache permissions?

Somebody posted the following on another thread but I don’t know if it’s safe to do?

My workaround for this is to edit /usr/local/psa/PMM/agents/shared/Storage/TarBundle.pm and exclude the directories/files, which make trouble. In the sub commandLine anywhere after my $cmd add line like:

$cmd .= " --exclude=/var/www/vhosts/yourdomain/httpdocs/tmp/session";

This problem is ongoing.

Why can't we just configure what we don't want plesk to back up. Why is that so grad to do?

Hey guys. We also got some weird effects with plesk 12.5.30 on Debian 7.9‬.
I tried to debug it. It seems that PHP creates files without the user read permission (u+r)
Code:
d-wxr----t 2 test psacln 4096 Sep 24 16:44 test
This is the tested result for any combination (apache module, nginx+php, nginx+fpm, etc).
With this permissions the backup process is not able to backup those files and directories, resulting in an error error of:
Code:
WARNING: (hosting object 'test') Not all the data was backed up into /var/lib/psa/dumps/clients/.../domains/test successfully. For security reasons, backing up is performed on behalf of subscription's system user. This system user has no read access to
The user itself has also no access to any of these files using ssh/ftp etc.
Setting these dynamically created files to u+r resolves the problem, but how can we change php to set it automatically?
I tried different settings using php's umask() but nothing helps.
The subscription and user itself was importet from a plesk 11 server.

any ideas?

I figured out the problem on my end.

The files aren't backed up because some files were owned by the user apache. A simple guess is that these files are created due to Php code (for example cache files).

1. Is it possible to change the user for Customers, so that when a Customer (the website) creates files, these files are made by the Customer user (FTP user) and not as apache? And by this I mean a global setting, not changing it for a specific Customer....because everytime a new Customer joins, we have to adjust a setting < not worth it.

2. Under what user does the backup manager create backups? Isn't it possible to give this user the privileges to files owned by apache as well?

Hope you guys can help us with this new information...

Regards,
TK

Attachments

• backup.jpg
    backup.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 7
Back