• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved "fpm application served by apache" generates randomly 404 not found

Arian

New Pleskian
Hi Guys,

Maybe you can help me.. I'm experiencing that a new created subscription (in some rare cases) is not working probably due to generating on randomly bases a 404 Not found. This is reproducible by just refreshing the page a few times.

not-found-1.png

The server is running 100+ sites and just 3 subscriptions/sites has this issue right now and i cannot figure out why this is happening.
Every is subscription has the same default settings, like proxy mode on, Smart static files processing on and "FPM application served by Apache" is default selected.

So if i turn off proxy mode, smart static files processing will be greyed out and the PHP handler will be switched over to "FPM application served by nginx".
Suddenly the problem is then gone.
Even after switching proxy mode on again because the 'only' setting what i know is that the PHP handler wil they stay the same.. like "FPM application served by nginx".

So i think the problem is something around PHP handler in specific the "FPM application served by Apache", because when i switch it back to "FPM application served by Apache", the problem will start again.

The problem is also not in the site content because what i'm trying to install is an DokuWiki/Moodle (through installatron) on the same way what i already have done multiple times before and that doesn't have the issue. :confused:

Last edited:
The problem can occur by scripts that simulate that they deliver static content and their corresponding rewrite rules. What happens is that on the first attempt that content is not yet cached in the reverse proxy so Nginx requests the content from Apache, where it is generated by a script. On attempts that follow however, some caching, specifically Nginx cache, thinks this is a static file it can service directly and preferrably from its own memory. But the file does not really exist on disc, because it is content that only acts as if it was static, but in reality was generated on-the-fly by a script. For that reason it is now not found and a 404 is returned.

I understand what you're saying, but i cannot relate it to the problem i have. I'll try summarize some scenario's, i did

• Proxy mode checked, Smart static files processing checked and "FPM application served by Apache" selected
    Problem with randomly 404 page/url not found or not loading certain files (dynamic or static files)

not-found-2.png

not-found-1.png

not-found-3.png

• Proxy mode checked, Smart static files processing unchecked and "FPM application served by Apache" selected
    Problem with randomly 404 not found or not loading certain files (dynamic or static files)

not-found-4.png

not-found-1.png

• Proxy mode unchecked, Smart static files processing unchecked and "FPM application served by nginx" automaticly selected

No Problem.

• Proxy mode checked, Smart static files processing unchecked and "FPM application served by nginx" keep selected
    Only problem with randomly not loading certain files (dynamic or static files)

not-found-5.png

• Proxy mode checked, Smart static files processing checked and "FPM application served by nginx" keep selected
    Only problem with randomly not loading certain files (dynamic or static files), but after a few times its gone.

• Proxy mode checked, Smart static files processing checked and "FPM application served by Apache" selected
    After a few times directly the same as scenario 1

I've have installed multiple DokuWiki's on the same way (and still running and do production work) and settings as scenario 1 eq. "Proxy mode checked, Smart static files processing checked and "FPM application served by Apache" selected" so how come that these one's has not that issue at all and this particular one does ??

Last edited:
Back