• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved FTP - Failed binding to port 21

BigD213

New Pleskian
New install of Plesk 12.5 on Centos 7

when I put this into bash: service xinetd status
it returns that the service is "Active"

I run: tail -f /var/log/messages

Then, I run: telnet 127.0.0.1 21
and I immediately get "Connection closed by foreign host."

Then /var/log/messages returns:
Aug 7 18:19:53 s1 proftpd[22890]: s1.--obfuscated--.com - Failed binding to ::, port 21: Address already in use
Aug 7 18:19:53 s1 proftpd[22890]: s1.--obfuscated--.com - Check the ServerType directive to ensure you are configured correctly
Aug 7 18:19:53 s1 proftpd[22890]: s1.--obfuscated--.com - Check to see if inetd/xinetd, or another proftpd instance, is already using ::, port 21
Aug 7 18:19:53 s1 proftpd[22890]: s1.--obfuscated--.com - Unable to start proftpd; check logs for more details

Then I run: service xinetd status
it returns:

Failed binding to ::, port 21: Address already in use
Check the ServerType directive to ensure you are configured correctly

When I run: cat /etc/proftpd.conf it shows only: "Include /etc/proftpd.d" and I do not know where the default options are being set. Options like "Umask" and "Port". When I use Plesk 12.5 on Centos 6, the file: /etc/proftpd.conf contains much more.

Hi BigD213,

pls. compare YOUR "proftpd.conf" and the folder ( and files ) "/etc/proftpd.d" with the ones from for example => #8

If you experience further issues/errors/problems, after you changed the configuration files, pls. post the complete configuration files, including the files from "proftpd.d" and post the new depending log - file entries from "/var/log/messages" and "/usr/local/psa/var/log/xferlog" or/and "/var/log/xferlog", after you tried to restart "xinetd".

There was a lot of manual configuration to do, once I got the /etc/proftpd.conf file loaded with data. This included setting permissions on files and adding several log files that did not exist. I assumed that the Plesk install would have already configured everything.

All is working now.

Back