• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Full server restore, if I have another Plesk server operational

E42

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 11
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian
Hello,
Suppose this use case:

1. Plesk server (#server-1) on a certain location, with a few hundreds subscriptions / domains. It goes down and is not recoverable.

2. Full backups, that is the whole content of var/lib/psa/dumps/ - obtained with rsync on another machine (#backup-machine).

3. Another Plesk server (#server-2) on a different location, working fine.

Now, suppose that #server-2 has enough physical resources to host everything that was on #server-1. In your experience / knowledge: is it wise to try to restore the subscriptions / domains of #server-1 on #server-2 or should I just consider another server, assuming that fast recovery is the main goal?
Thank you and kind regards

I am fortunate enough never to have been in a similar scenario, so I can't speak from experience. But if fast recovery is your goal then I would assume that recovering to an already running server would be the fastest. However I also feel it's probably not the most efficient solution. As I believe that down the line it will take a lot more time to get everything sorted. You probably had two servers running for a reason. So merging them sounds like recipe for a headache.

Ideally you would have a server image (or snapshot) w/ Plesk and your custom configuration ready to deploy a new server when needed. You'll have to update (or recreate) that image once in a while to keep it up to date. But that sounds like time well spend.

Last edited:
Back