• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Getting duplicate DNS error when creating domain alias with deactivated DNS service

vaelu

Basic Pleskian
Username: vaelu

TITLE

Getting duplicate DNS error when creating domain alias with deactivated DNS service

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Tested with Plesk Obsidian 18.0.36 and 18.0.37 on Debian 10.10

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

I want to add a domain alias for a customer's website and got this error (domain and IP anonymized):
dWDkOR7.png

After searching, I found this article which describes this error: Unable to create a domain alias in Plesk: DNS record already exists

Since all our customers using Cloudflare as external DNS and DNS is deactivated for these domains, the error makes no sense.
o3UfDCg.png

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. Deactivate DNS for a domain (external DNS)
  2. Try to add a domain alias for it

ACTUAL RESULT

This error:
dWDkOR7.png

EXPECTED RESULT

Successfully creating the domain alias.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Before I tried to create the domain alias (let's call it alias.com), I had a website which was alias.com. Possibly that this has something to do with it.

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Help with sorting out

Developers can't reproduce the issue.
Please provide as accurate steps as possible to reproduce the problem or contact Plesk Support Team, and they will check the issue directly on your server.

The developer suggested creating a ticket for Plesk Support Team as further investigation requires access to your server.

After deep investigation with Plesk team and developers, I can share the following information:

The root cause was that Plesk inherits the DNS zone for alias from the main domain, even when DNS service is disabled for it.
The bug was internally submitted as PPPM-13217 and will be fixed in future Plesk updates.

Back