• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question grant ftp user access to all folders

saelwell

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian Version 18.0.42 Update #1
Hi. I am trying to grant global FTP access to copy files into the various subscriptions on my Plesk VPS. On a previous VPS I had the root password. Logging in as root gave me access to everything but I do not have the root password (a separate issue) on this new VPS. I have created a user ftproot and added it to the sudo group. This gives me access to the root but drilling down in my FTP client to var/www/vhosts I cannot go beyond there into the various subscriptions. Permissions look like:

drwx--x--- 10 chalmers psaserv 4096 Apr 16 23:09 domain1.org
drwx--x--- 6 dib psaserv 4096 May 3 03:33 domain2.uk
drwx--x--- 10 brenda psaserv 4096 May 3 16:13 domain3.uk
drwx--x--- 8 stephenme psaserv 4096 May 2 02:00 domain4.me.uk
drwx--x--- 9 stephenuk psaserv 4096 May 2 02:00 domain5.uk

Is there a way of granting my ftproot user global permissions to access these directories in a similar way to root access? Or is there another way of doing it? If I change the owner it will deny access to the different domain users.

I can access these directories on the server via SSH using 'sudo su -' but I really need access via an FTP client.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

You should not use plain ftp with root access. Ever.

If you can sudo su, you can
  • set the root password, and/or
  • add an ssh public key to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
  • (if not already done) change sshd_config and edit PermitRootLogin to without-password (this allows logging in as root only with the key you just added)
Then you can use sftp with ssh key instead of ftp(s) to connect.

Back