• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Have SWSoft done it again?

Also, let me express that even experienced admins need to use CP's like PLESK as it is not for the admins, it is mainly used by all your customers and they determine the market's platform by demand. And even the most experince admins know, that they are very short of time, and making something more efficient, like automating 80-90% of the customer's frontend is much more benificial then manually doing all that work by hand. Infact, I can remember only a few die hard admins that have not installed at least one CP in the past few years to help mange the workload. PLESK is not used by experinced admins for the purpose of simplification, it is used as a tool to free up the admin's time to handle other issue's such as security, and developement tasks.

Originally posted by firepages

I have just been informed by my host that 7.5.4 should not be used on virtuozzo ... if thats the case why was there an option in the migration manager to upgrade to 7.5.4 ... and why oh why did I use it :(
For Virtuozzo VPSes, you will ALWAYS want to install/upgrade Plesk from Application Templates provided by SW-Soft.

Originally posted by firepages
hmmm if I thought I knew everything and was a true *nix admin I would not need the benefits of a ready-made solution like plesk/etc etc would I ?

the vast majority of plesk users will be nowhere near sys-admins , thats the customer base.

Are you talking about server admins here, or their customers? Because I think the vast majority of SWSoft customers (the server admins) should have a fair amount of knowledge, because they're (usually) telling their customers that they have (with uptime warrantees and such). Plesk is nothing more than a flashy front-end for the server-admin's customers.

Originally posted by Traged1
Also, let me express that even experienced admins need to use CP's like PLESK as it is not for the admins, it is mainly used by all your customers and they determine the market's platform by demand.

Yip. But admin's only need Plesk because things like setting up hosting and such is a much more easy task, and you can give your customers freedom to do some management theirselves. However, for the true system-admin work, like you pointed out (security and such), Plesk is completely useless. If your server is broken, something won't start, whatever, Plesk is never going to help you out.

Originally posted by biglupu
For Virtuozzo VPSes, you will ALWAYS want to install/upgrade Plesk from Application Templates provided by SW-Soft.

My provider just rolled out Virtuozzo this week and I haven't yet upgraded to Plesk 7.5.4. I have found the documentation for Virtuozzo lacking, and I do not see any option to install/upgrade Plesk from Application Templates. Where can I find information about this?

Your provider will need to do this for you, unless you have root access to the hardware node it's not possible.

Originally posted by Cranky
Your provider will need to do this for you, unless you have root access to the hardware node it's not possible.

Getting back on topic a bit...if my provider needs to do this for me, the availability of the Plesk Updater is questionable.

I have a feeling, however, that if I ask my provider, Media Temple, to update Plesk for me, they'll respond that they don't provide that service.

You can update it manually with RPM's, but I'd highly recommend that it's done via templates by your provider.

I have upgraded 6 Servers running either 7.5.2 or 7.5.3 on Virtuozzo to version 7.5.4 with only one issue.

After installing the upgrade the updater no longer works. It complains that it is not designed for Virtuozzo.

I sent a support ticket to sw and got a reply back within 10 minutes or so with a updated updater file which works fine.

I have not had any problems with the software itself (touch wood)

I have upgraded from V7.1 to 7.5 sometimes missing whole updates and never had any serious problems at all.

Back