• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Health Monitor

Shawn M

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

I get an email two or 3 times a day that my CPU usage goes from green to red.

How can I find the cause of why it went to red?

CPU Usage

First I would look to see if they e-mails are coming it at consistent times. If so you could look at your cron jobs on the server to see if a certain job is running at those times. If the times are consistent I would run the "top" command and see what is running with high processor usage.

Logon to your terminal console using SSH. When there just type top. You should be able to logon to the console with root access somehow.

I logged in with root access and used "top". How can I look back in the history to find out what caused that spike?

I think it just showed the real time current stats.

There is a utility called "atop". It may not be installed by default though. If you are on a 32 bit system you could install it using "rpm -Uvh http://3es.atomicrocketturtle.com/packages/atop/atop-1.23-8.art.i386.rpm" This ustility shows overall processor usage of programs over time.

Hi, When I went to install that utility, I got this error:

libtinfo.so.5 is needed by atop-1.23-8.art.i386

What does that mean?

What operating system are you running? CentOS? You need ncurses-libs to be installed. If you are using CentOS you could try running "yum install ncurses-libs"

I have Cent OS 5.4. I ran it and this is what I got.

Excluding Packages from CentOS-5 - Addons
Finished
Excluding Packages from CentOS-5 - Base
Finished
Excluding Packages from CentOS-5 - Extras
Finished
Excluding Packages from CentOS-5 - Updates
Finished
Setting up Install Process
No package ncurses-libs available.
Nothing to do

Sorry about the delay in response. I did a little research on TOP and found that it will do what you want.

Press shift-a to have it show you the processes using the most CPU over time.

Back