• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

How can I change domain IP after creation?

JP Kelly

Regular Pleskian
I want to change the IP of a domain after it is created.

The default IP of the server is xx.xx.xx.25 and new domains are created with that IP address.

I want to change the IP to xx.xx.xx.26 after they are created.

I have added /usr/local/psa/bin/domain --update ${NEW_DOMAIN_NAME} -ip xx.xx.xx.26 to the 'default domain created' event handler.

When I create the domain and go to it in the panel I get an error:
Error: There is no IP address xx.xx.xx.25 in the pool.
This puzzles me because I am not trying to use xx.xx.xx.25

Any suggestions how to accomplish this?

For manual IP change, you can go to:

Subscriptions > domain.tld > Change Hosting Settings.

Make sure the IP you want to change to is marked as Shared rather than Dedicated.

This method is fine if you are managing any hosting on the server, as it only takes a few seconds once you've created the subscription.

The thing is I want to do this automatically right away when the domain is created. If I don't get to it soon enough and the wrong IP gets cached in DNS then there are problems changing it later.

JP: My remark, which you quoted, should be taken in the context of Dave's remark. It's just an addendum -- That's why I quoted him. It's like a conversation thread...

For manual IP change, you can go to:

Subscriptions > domain.tld > Change Hosting Settings.

Make sure the IP you want to change to is marked as Shared rather than Dedicated.

This method is fine if you are managing any hosting on the server, as it only takes a few seconds once you've created the subscription.
FWIW: The status of each IP address (shared vs. dedicated) can be viewed from Home -> Tools & Settings -> IP addresses management.
The thing is I want to do this automatically right away when the domain is created. If I don't get to it soon enough and the wrong IP gets cached in DNS then there are problems changing it later.

See? I'm simply adding to what Dave said.

Your comment, however, seems to have little to do with my remark.

I believe that I've understood you're original question correctly:
I want to change the IP of a domain after it is created...

Any suggestions how to accomplish this?

Did I miss something? Are you trying to configure the IP address used for new subscriptions?

JP: My remark, which you quoted, should be taken in the context of Dave's remark. It's just an addendum -- That's why I quoted him. It's like a conversation thread...

See? I'm simply adding to what Dave said.

Your comment, however, seems to have little to do with my remark.

I believe that I've understood you're original question correctly:

Did I miss something? Are you trying to configure the IP address used for new subscriptions?

Yes I am trying to change the IP address used for new subscriptions.

I created the thread to ask about using the CLI command /usr/local/psa/bin/domain --update ${NEW_DOMAIN_NAME} -ip xx.xx.xx.26 in the event handler.

Back