• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How can I disable the www-prefix for one domain?

mulderj

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.7
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian (Version: 18.0.49 Update #2)
Hey there,

I just bought a Sectigo EV Multidomain certificate to protect some of my domains I need for a project.
Since those certificates are not cheap at all I didn't want to pay for the www prefix.
To fix this I came up with the following.

1. Remove the www-prefix from the domain
2. Create the www-prefix as a subdomain
3. Issue a lets-encrypt certificate for this subdomain
4. Implement a 301 redirect to the main domain.

While this doesn't sound very difficult I can not find a way to remove/disable the www-prefix for the main domain and so I can not create a real subdomain to do my trick.
Is there any way I can disable the www prefix on the domain so that I can use the lets-encrypt certificate just on the www subdomain.
Found an older forum post but this one seems way to old to be usable. (Howto disable the www alias option for a domain.)
Keep in mind I want it disabled for only one domain not all of the domains on the host.

Thanks in advance.

Jesse

Hi Peter,

That is sad to hear and it seems weird to me that in previous versions it was possible to do according to the link I provided earlier. This is really old information (2009) but still it seems weird to me that an already implemented function got entirely removed.

Thanks for the info and I voted on that feature request you linked. I will look for a different solution for this domain and thus remove it from Plesk for now.

Jesse

Back