• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How can I update SpamAssasin version for Plesk

Which version of SpamAssasin is installed on your Plesk panel?

• 3.4.2[2] (2018-09-16)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VojkanC

Basic Pleskian
When I check a header in the received email there is a line:
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.3.2 (2011-06-06) on example.com

I have followed these instructions for updating SpamAssasin, but Plesk is still using the old version.

How can I update SpamAssasin for Plesk Onyx Version 17.8.11 Update #25 on CentOS release 6.10 (Final)?

In this case a warning from my side: The solution of @sweetp requires the installation of dependencies and uses the remi repository, specifically Perl and OpenSSL. It might work on this specific installation, but I would not recommend it as a general guide. This could cause issues on the next update if the other libraries on the system are not from the same repository.

Getting SpamAssassin up to date would be good as we all suffer too much spam, but I was a little surprised to see the comment that this is an OS package and so outside the scope of Plesk. I thought the entire purpose of Plesk was to make server admin (much) simpler and that pretty much all the components managed by Plesk are 'OS components'? Seems to miss the point that something pretty essential to the mail service could be considered outside the scope of Plesk?

Anyway, following @IgorG's detailed instructions for one of my boxes (CentOS 6.10, Plesk Onyx 17.8.11 Update #44) I immediately hit:

No package perl-Geo-IP available.
No package perl-Mail-SPF available.
No package perl-Net-CIDR-Lite available.

Now I've also read @sweetp's item on this which pretty much follows @IgorG's advice, but with the CentOS 7 tweaks, but I wonder how wise it is to stray away from Plesk functionality and whether I will bring myself greater pain with some incompatibility in the future?

Any advice for someone really wanting to improve spam knock-down but also not wanting to break a Plesk setup?

Unfortunately, since Plesk is selling "SpamExperts" and "Warden Anti-spam and Virus Protection" as a solution for the SPAM problem, they are not interested in getting free SpamAssassin to work. By default, it doesn't stop any spam at all, which is a disgrace.

SpamExperts has very poor documentation (short and outdated text instructions and screenshots and no video) and their support doesn't want to help.
Even though they reply, there is no real effort to understand and help you even with basic tasks.

When I ordered through Plesk reseller they didn't want even to reply anything except to tell me that I must buy a license through them or from Plesk directly.

Somehow they didn't forget to tell me about their reseller package for USD 70/m which is more than I pay for Plesk Web Pro Edition + VPS together.
In the end, when with trial and error you configure it, it will work fine.

I am yet to try "Warden Anti-spam and Virus Protection" on another VPS instance.

Back