• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How do I basically set up a few things (or find a tut on how to)

P

pyro

Hello,

I just bought a server with Plesk installed on it while I so far used Cpanel on my other servers, so I am not really used a lot the plesk-way. here are a few things I could not find an answer about and would be glad if someone could explain that to me or give me the link to a good tut on plesk or - the more the better ;) - both. :)

1) Host Name
In Cpanel I can give a name to the server under settings. So to say giving a main domain to the whole server. E.g. I can name my server: server1.mycompany.com
I can´t find an option where I can do so in plesk?

2) Accessing Accounts
In Cpanel I can access accounts, whose domains don´t resolve yet to my server by using the main domain (mentioned above) and the accountname. E.g. if I want to access the page of account1 and domain has not resolved yet I can do by:
http://mycompany.com/~account1/
Does such an option exist in Plesk as well? Since else it would be dumb to only be able to work and view a page only if the domain already resolves (search engines spidering and stuff).
What is the scheme to do so? Like in Cpanel it´s maindomain, slash, tilde, accountname.

3) Domain Resolving
I only got on IP with that new server so I am not able (unless I buy some more IPs which I wanna prevent) to do private nameservers there. So would it last if I simply change the A and MX entries on my extern nameservers and point them to the 1 IP and plesk would so to say do the filtering, passing on account1.com to account1 and account2.com to account2 (shared IP for several accounts)? If so is there anything I would have to take care of when creating accounts?

4) Statistic Tools
Does there exist an option in Plesk to upload other statistic tools like e.g. AWstats (which is my favorite tool since I am used to it from Cpanel)? If so where? :)

5) Tutorials
Does there exist any good source where one can find some good tutorials on how to administer a server by plesk? :)

Thx in advance and sorry for my basic questions, but I simply know jack about plesk and kinda have to work with it.. :)

best regards, pyro

4) Statistic Tools
Does there exist an option in Plesk to upload other statistic tools like e.g. AWstats (which is my favorite tool since I am used to it from Cpanel)? If so where?
---------------------------------

AWstats should be available soon as it is on win plesk. If you can't wait use 4PSA.com's advanced stats.......

-poke

thx for the input poke and worker :) will have a look on those tuts and on 4PSA.com :)

best regards, pyro

We are in the same boat here. There are a lot of talk about Plesk being equally good or better, but I just got a Plesk box and found myself totally lost.

I had to set the hostname from the command line. If you still haven't done it yet you can use this nifty script to change your hostname.

***Please note....it is advisable to ensure that your choosen hostname resolves to your server before continuing

1) login to your server via ssh
2) su -
3) wget http://ezsm.net/hostname.sh
5) sh hostname.sh
6) answer the questions
7) done.

Peace!

Sam

Back