• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How do i can have an emai alias / redirect without retention of mail in plesk?

LegolasTheElf

Basic Pleskian
as often true in computer sience, a different idea of the same word make often big problems come to the light.

long tome ago , when we haven't still started to use plesk, when we speak about an "email alias" we speak about "a thing" that do this:

1) accept emails for a "fake" email alias in a domain, for example [email protected]
2) make all the antivirus / antispam check over the recieved email
3) send the email checked to the "real" email address that they know, for example [email protected]

and that's all, they don't mantain nothing about that email.

at now, under plesk, email alias is something completely different, something like "a second different name for this exixtent email", so you can send email to [email protected] or to [email protected] and recieve it all into the "real" email address that is, for example, [email protected]. but you can't say that [email protected] is an alias of [email protected] ; the alias is ONLY CONNECTED to the same domain that you are configuring. useful, but isnt' what we are searching for.

so we have looked readdressing, that seems good for us, but ... we have to discover that there is a big problem with it.
what they really do is something like:
1) accept emails for a "REAL" email in the domain, for example [email protected]
2) make all the antivirus / antispam check over the recieved email
3) send the email checked to the "wantend" email address that they know, for example [email protected]
4) MANTAIN A COPY OF THE EMAIL ROUTED into the "original" email ( [email protected] ) until someone goes into it and delete it.

that creates a problem with the email [email protected], because in a bit of time they reach its limits (the user never connect to it, because they read the emails from is desired account, [email protected], so they don't delete the emails), start bouncing the message that they recieve with a mail quota exceeded error, and often the users never didn't know that he is loosing emails, because they never recieve a "mail quota exceeded" message to [email protected].

so we have a problem here, and i'm sure that we have into plesk 9.2.3 something that we can do about this, but after a lot of research around i havent' found nothing that can help me in having something similar to my "old alias"

everyone can help me?

Back