• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How is spamassassin working without a spamassassin license

R

rvdmeer

Hi,

After 2 days searching on the forum and trying to get spamassassin working i finally will create a new post with the quesion: How is spamassassin working without a spamassassin license.

There are several config files and non of them are processed. then there is a psa-spamassassin and a spamassassin in the init.d. Both should run and in the qmai file an spamc binarie should be executed. But, there are 2, the stardard line that PSA will add is not checking spam (according to the mail log.. or is it?)

And if so... where are the config files.. there is a config file created in /var/qmail/mailnames/domain.ltd/username/user_prefs. But adjusting this file will not give any result at all..

Any help?

Kind regards,
Ronald van der Meer

The Plesk license for SA is only needed if you wish to control SA settings directly from the Plesk Control Panel.

The SA software itself does not require the Plesk license to run.

Plesk seems to keep the SA settings in mysql:

Database: psa
Table: sa_conf

The /var/qmail/mailnames/user_prefs is a symlink to /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf which appears to be where the SA settings are being kept in file.

On my production servers, I use 4PSA's SpamGuardian, which has always worked better (IMO) than the Plesk implementation of SA, and they also use RulesDuJour which I like.

Thanks, now it is working . (at last)
I was thinking to difficult.

Anywho, i hoped that when marking a address on the blacklist it should block this the message.. but now its only tagging it like spam.. i need to block an address TO for some customers.

They are receiving spam on grambor(randomnumber)@customerdomain.ltd.

I advised them to disable the catch all function but thats something they dont wanna do..

Any solution for this?

If they refuse to disable 'catch all', then there is nothing else to do really. If they do not understand that the catch all will CATCH ALL undefined names, then they will have to put up with emails coming to random names, including spam.

Eventually they will get fed up with the spam and get rid of the catch all.

I assume you have the catchall account covered with Spamassassin and that it's not being effective....

Hmm, unless you want to try to write a custom script and put it into their .qmail files, pipe to your script first, then if it passes your script checking, it goes to the catch all or other user account. That's the only other thing I can think of at the moment. Just remember that Plesk does overwrite the .qmail files, so you may have to write your script to be run from a cronjob at intervals and check/re-insert your pipe at the top of the file...

I know... customers sometimes dont understand these things... and they say it just should work the way they tell them to work.

Anyway, thanks for your support. (once again ;))

Back