• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How is SSI propagated across multiple (sub)domains hosted under the same primary site?

O'Cathasaigh

New Pleskian
How is SSI propagated across multiple (sub)domains hosted under the same primary site?

Hi. I'm new to Plesk - so I don't know where all the secret hidden features are buried. Hence the question.

I'm attempting to use Plesk 12.0 (If the Guide linked under Help is any indication) for the first time to set up a single site spanning several domains and numerous subdomains. The site is not intended to exclude people with disabilities - so frames and iframes are verbotten. The subdomains are the intended SEO targets with content to be assoicated with the subdomain, not the overly complex primary site adressing. So redirects are not an option either.

In the past, I've used SSI to propagate navigation across the domains and subdomains without duplicating it all over the place and having to edit several hundred files every single time I have to update a link. The problem I'm having with Plesk is that domains and subdomains are not simply pointed at their hosting address in the primary site, but set up as secondary/tertiary sites in their own right and seemingly incapable of accessing a file in one of the parent directories hosted by the primary.

The objective of this question is to resolve this problem at the server end, without fubaring accessibility and markup validity.

So my initial question, concerning specifics, is; how do I set up domains and subdomains to point to an address without being a redirect, a frame or a site independent from the primary?

Failing this; how do I set up Plesk to assert primary site navigation structure (for the purpose of SSI) across all secondary and tertiary "sites" hosted under the primary?

Thanks in advance...

Back