• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How many IP addresses for my DNS

J

jb604

Hi.

I have a dedicated Server. Linux with Plesk8. I am trying to setup my own DNS i.e ns1.mysite.com and ns2.mysite.com. I already have registered mysite.com with godaddy.

My server only comes with 1 IP address. 1111.

I will be hosting .com, .net, and .ca domains.

Do I need two new and unique IP addresses on my server for the two DNS's, or can I use 1111 which I already have for both ns1 and ns2 in the domain registrar panel of godaddy?

Any helps, hints, comments is appreciated

--Janet

Even though the registrar requires at least 2 DNS servers listed, if the hostnames point to the same IP and the registrar allows you to have it setup that way, in your DNS just make ns2 a cname to ns1. Or just don't use an ns2 at all but keep it listed with the registrar.

If it doesn't respond it won't be a big deal, in the past I've operated on 1 working dns at a time. There generally isn't a lag of any kind as the other server will simply be passed over if a client cannot resolve it or its unresponsive.

You could also find an ISP that will slave your DNS zones for you and act as your NS2.

We do that for our customers that wish to operate their own dns server from within plesk or offsite.

Thx
James

Back