• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved How to clean-up mailman Archive?

Sergio Manzi

Regular Pleskian
Hello everybody,

I've just set up a mailman mailing list (under CentOS 7.4 / Plesk Onyx 17.5.3 #25), and I've sent several "test messages" (some of them could be defined as inappropriate...) that now I would like to remove from the mailman Archive.

In mailman's wiki I've found this apparently relevant topic but unhappily I haven't been able to follow the instructions especially as I don't understand what the $var-prefix variable (it's a variable, isn't it?) is or stands for.https://wiki.list.org/DOC/How can I remove a post from the list archive or remove an entire archive?

I've also found this article, where it is told that for getting help about mailman under Plesk, this is the right place to be, so... here I am, seeking help!

Sorry if this is naive: I'm not a good linux sysadmin...

Sergio

I found out how to do that! Actually it was all written in the article I cited in my OP, but I was probably too tired when I read it the first time...

Anyway, if anybody is interested, this is what you can do:

1) To completely wipe out a list archive:
  • ~mailman/bin/arch --wipe <mailing-list-name>

2) To selectively remove some message from the list archive:

• cd /var/lib/mailman/archives/private
  • vim ./<mailing-list-name>.mbox/<mailing-list-name>.mbox
  • ... remove the messages you want to disappear (messages are separated by a blank line) and save
  • rm -r <mailing-list-name> <--- THIS IS IMPORTANT!
  • ~mailman/bin/arch <mailing-list-name>

Of course substitute <mailing-list-name> with your actual mailing list name!

Read the "caveats" in the original article...

Back