• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to configure PHP handlers?

larryk

Regular Pleskian
this page:

has this note:

Note: Switching PHP from Apache module to FastCGI application may impair the functionality of existing PHP scripts. Switching to PHP-FPM by selecting Process PHP by nginx in the website’s web server settings may do the same.

Are there any more details on what exactly is meant by "...impair the functionality ..."?
Or what "existing PHP scripts"?

Does this mean, when you change the drop down menu for: run PHP as [dropdown options], that your Plesk installation might be impaired?

I have 4 options in my dropdown list and believe there are reasons (pro/con) for each one:
FPM application served by Apache
FPM application served by Nginx
CGI application served by Apache
FastCGI application served by Apache

in general, I pick one of the 2 FPM options.

BUT based on the above link, if I change that option, is Plesk impaired?

thanks

Does no one like my question?
Or maybe no one knows what to say?
Or maybe my question is so bad, it does not deserve a reply?

I think it means PHP scripts that you may have installed in the client hosting domain, not in Plesk itself. I could be wrong though. I know there are some PHP programs that need Apache (and its .htaccess capability) to run PHP compatibly.

this page:

has this note:

Note: Switching PHP from Apache module to FastCGI application may impair the functionality of existing PHP scripts. Switching to PHP-FPM by selecting Process PHP by nginx in the website’s web server settings may do the same.

thanks
Nowhere it is mentioned that the Plesk installation is in danger, nor is it so. It's merely a warning that sites may not work anymore after changing the PHP-engine of that site. Changing the server-wide PHP-setting would affect all sites.

I have several clients running websites that stop working if the PHP-version is set higher than 5.6. It has nothing to do with Plesk. These are old websites that aren't future-proof.
Plesk merely facilitates the ability to run different PHP-versions.

Ah.... okay. thanks!
:) well, yes. switching version of php will have big impact. and losing functionality from using .htaccess could have big impact. When I first saw that note, I didn't think of the obvious.

I think that page or note should add: "versions" and ".htacess". I feel its too vague at the moment.

anyway, thanks for clearing that up for me!

Back