• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to create a Subdomain within a Subdomain?

P

Porthos

Hello!

I use Plesk 7.5.1 and successfully created a Subdomain "subdomain.domain.com". But now I want to create an additional subdomain under "subdomain.domain.com" (e.g. subdomain.subdomain.domain.com or www.subdomain.domain.com).

Every time Plesk says that I tried to use not allowed characters for a subdomain, if I try to create the subdomain "subdomain.subdomain" or "www.subdomain".

What have I to do to create such a SubSubdomain?

I have done this successfully several times now. First, you have to create the subdomain as a standard domain in Plesk (use the "add domain" in the client panel... not the "add subdomain").
Next, in the top level domain's DNS, set the subdomain to use nameservers instead of an A record. Like, if your Plesk Nameserver is NS1.DOMAIN.COM, you would set your subdomain to have a NS record of NS1.DOMAIN.COM as well.
This will give full DNS control over to the new subdomain for itself, as well as allow it to have it's own subdomains.
At least, this is how I did it, and it worked well for me..

Ok, that is a work-around, but the problem is, that my license has a limit of 100 domains. And I do not want to sacrifice a "domain" for a subdomain. On the other hand I want to add very much subdomains and that would result into the lost of many "license-domains".

Is there no other "normal way" to add SubSubdomain or SubSubSubdomains etc. ?

I suppose you could manually add the subsub into your Apache config file, but for the most part, you're digging pretty deep there... the way that Plesk works with subdomains is to create a simple A record for the subdomain (meaning that only that record will point to the IP, and is not wildcarded).
In the simple sense, you would be manually adding it, as Plesk will, by default, only go one deep.

Nightstorm,

2 questions:

1. When I make a subdomain (I want to get www.subdomain.domain.com), do I unmark the www-prefix, and than within DNS-settings point to it with CNAME?

2.Can you make en listing how your DNS-settings are on that subdomain (so I get eventualy www.subdomain.domain.com) ?

Many thanks'

Back