• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to install mcrypt

Deoxymono

New Pleskian
Hi, I want to run magento on a VPS just purchased. However running the magento compatibility checks reveals 1 error which is: "You are missing the mcrypt extension"

I've tried and tried to get mcrypt installed but to no avail :(

Server info: VPS server, Linux 2.6.18-028stab079.1, CentOS 5.6, Parallels Plesk 10.2.0, PHP 5.2.10, MySQL 5.0.77

N.B I am a relative newbie to SSH and server administration outside of using Cpanel/WHM

OK after googling the 1st thing I came across was using yum to install mcrypt:

Steps I followed were:

1. Type "yum install mcrypt*". Say yes to the prompts.
2. Type "yum install mhash*". Say yes to the prompts.
3. Type "yum install php-mcrypt*". Say yes to the prompts.
4. Type "yum install php-mhash*". Say yes to the prompts.
5. Restart server

All steps seemed successful apart from step 1: "yum install mcrypt*"

Which gives me message 'No package mcrypt available'

So I decided to try installing it manually, I downloaded the mcrypt 2.6.4 files, unzipped and uploaded with WinSCP to a folder named mcrypt in the root of my server. Then I:

1. cd to mcrypt directory
2. typed ./configure
3. It returns error 'no acceptable C compliler found in $PATH'

Ok after more googling it seems I need to install a compiler GCC seems to be what everyone uses.

So my next steps are:

1. yum install gcc
2. which returns another error: 'Missing Dependency: kernel-headers >= 2.2.1 is needed by package glibc-headers-2.5-58.el5_6.3.x86_64 (updates)'

I'm not really sure what that means but I think it seems to be saying gcc needs an older or equal to version of kernel headers 2.2.1 but I have a newer version?

Well that is about as much as I know what to do, I'm completely stumped now and don't know how to move forward with this :( The annoying thing is I know in Cpanel/WHM you can install mcrypt with a couple of clicks through WHM>easyapache. I wish plesk had this feature.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can install mcrypt or fix the issues above so I can install gcc? I would be very grateful as I feel like banging my head against a brick wall at the moment!

Did you try to use search on this forum? This question has been discussed a lot of times here. There was solution from atomicturtle.

Back