• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to migrate (or point) existing website-subdomains to a new Virtual Private Server?

Sunfrost

New Pleskian
Hi everybody,

I am totally new to Plesk and I have a problem I cannot find any answer on the internet.

I am a teacher who wants to teach my students how to build websites. In oder to do so, I got a website from a web hoster and I created a subdomain for every student. I installed WordPress in the subdomains, thus every student is an wordpress administrator for his website (subdomain). However, if more than 10 students access their websites (subdomains) at the same time during class, the performance is terrible. I contacted the web hoster and he suggested the use of a Virtual Private Server (VPS) with plesk.

Now my question: Is there a way my students can use their websites with VPS. What I would like to avoid is to have to delete the students websites (subdomains) and create new subdomains on VPS with plesk. Thus, is there some way to "point" to the Website-subdomains resp. some way to migrate the existing websites (subdomains) to VPS?

Thank you so much for your answer.

Kind regards,
Erich

If the hoster provides you with a VPS with a fresh Plesk installed, then you can easily use the Plesk Migration Manager to migrate all the contents of your current Plesk server to a new one.

Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Hi IgorG,

thank you very much for your answer. I have not used plesk at the hoster website. Thus, it is not a plesk to plesk migration. What I hope to achieve is to take the subdomains from my website and somehow transfer them to the VPS.

Just for clarification (website fictional):

Website Example Domain
Students Websites (WordPress installed in subdomains; subdomain's name = firstname-lastname of students: https://www.example.com/firstname-lastname

Maybe another solution:
Is there a way to let the students websites (subdomains) remain to stay on the website (Example Domain) - thus no migration - but somehow point from VPS (plesk) to the websites (subdomains). If this would be possible, would this help to increase the performance?

Thank you :)

If you want to migrate to Plesk already existing website you can use this Plesk extension: Site Import
Also you can leave these sites as is and use forwarding hosting type for these sites on Plesk: Hosting Types

Hi IgorG,

thank you soooooooooooo much for pointing me in the right direction - I am so happy :) And the students even more ;-)

Kind regards,
Erich

Back