• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

how to upgrade PHP 5.3.3 to 5.3.10

hardbrasil

Regular Pleskian
Hi fellas,

we have the new version of joomla cms that requires php.5.3.10 and we are quite outdated,
now the version is 5.3.3

do you believe if make this update using others repositories, will compromises Plesk infrastructure?

how to update in safe way, than i can rollback if necessary?

thank you

You don`t update!!! PHP is installed via yum repositories and it should stay that way to get security updates...

Now if you wan`t never PHP you must compile it.
Look at this KB: http://kb.parallels.com/en/118378

We`ve already installed PHP 5.5.9 on our servers and it`s running well but... I first installed and compiled it on our testing server, and you should do the same, and when you`re sure! that everything is working OK with latest compiled version you can zip,tar,rar-it and install on your production.
Plesk has a free trial licence on this link so use that for testing on another PC/server/openvz container or whatever you have for installing plesk.

Compiling it on non-production server is very important because you`ll have a number of devel (aka development) packages you`ll have to install and I suppose that you don`t wanna kill you`re production with bunch of those packages.

Last edited:
Hi Marko,
thank you for the good arguments,

in the past i update for php5.4 (other server) and nothing happen that compromise my websites, only few websites logs getting big with a lot of php warnings.
so i presume that a micro update (.3 to .10) will not impact much more than a major update (5.3 to 5.4)

5.5 is out of question, because stop some applications here.

by the way, thank you

But with Plesk you can select what PHP version you want for your website.
You can install PHP 5.3.3, 5.3.10, 5.4, 5.5, 5.5.9 and many more and add it to Plesk for users to decide which version to run.
If something is not working with 5.5, ok switch it to 5.4

I think this feature on Plesk is really cool.

i only can change php version if i set php on "Run PHP as CGI"
in apache or fast-cgi i only have 5.3.3

thank you again!

well, you have to make sure of 2 things:
1. your PHP should be configured to run with fastcgi, "./configure ... '--enable-fastcgi' ...", you can see it with phpinfo(); function ih PHP
2. When you add your PHP instance to Plesk you have to add it as fastcgi handler with: "/usr/local/psa/bin/php_handler ... -type fastcgi"

thats how I done that and it`s working with fastcgi with no problem.

Back