• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

[HOWTO] Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility

manni

Basic Pleskian
Hello everyone,

we've got some issues here with internet explorer 8 and our clients, which cannot work with plesk anymore after updating to microsofts new browser.
It's bad for customers, if they have to start compatibility mode for internet explorer 7 in their browser so here is a simple bugfix.

Goto /opt/psa/admin or /usr/local/psa/admin (just where your plesk installation is)
and move into directory conf.

Create a file "httpsd.ie8comp.include" and insert the following:
LoadModule headers_module libexec/mod_headers.so
Header set X-UA-Compatible "IE=EmulateIE7"

Works just fine for our servers. This solution is tested with plesk 7 and plesk 8 - NOT WORKING WITH VERSION 9.

Best Regards from Austria!
Manuel :)

Hi,

as I don't work with Plesk for Windows I do not know how to do it. But you could give me access to your server and I'll check it ;-)

Plesk uses now it's own webserver (starting up from version 9.0) and there is now way (as it seems to me know) to put in a ie-8-compliant code.

Manuel

Manuel, thank you so much for posting this workaround here! I was just dealing with the same issue and without your advise I would have spent much more time!

Allow me to enhance your solution on Plesk 9 for Unix as well :)

Indeed, since Plesk 9 new control panel web server was introduced - and it is based on lighttpd:

Code:
# rpm -qi sw-cp-server-1.0-5.200902131203.centos5
Name        : sw-cp-server                 Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.0                               Vendor: SWsoft, Inc.
Release     : 5.200902131203.centos5        Build Date: Fri 13 Feb 2009 03:05:32 PM JST
Install Date: Thu 30 Apr 2009 09:57:16 AM JST      Build Host: bcos5.plesk.ru
Group       : System Environment/Daemons    Source RPM: sw-cp-server-1.0-5.200902131203.centos5.src.rpm
Size        : 1252127                          License: Revised BSD
Signature   : (none)
Packager    : SWsoft, Inc. <[email protected]>
Summary     : SWsoft control panels server
Description :
HTTP server for SWsoft control panels based on lighttp

So - for Plesk 9 we should basically do the same - add X-UA-Compatible: IE=EmulateIE7 header to lighttpd output. In lighttpd you just need to add:

1) "mod_setenv" module to Plesk CP configuration
2) setenv.add-response-header = ( "X-UA-Compatible" => "IE=EmulateIE7" ) directive to each virtual host (8443 and 8880)

Just like this:

Code:
# pwd
/etc/sw-cp-server/applications.d

# diff plesk.conf plesk.conf.bak
1c1
< server.modules += ("mod_expire", "mod_fastcgi", "mod_rewrite", "mod_accesslog", "mod_alias", "mod_compress","mod_setenv")
---
> server.modules += ("mod_expire", "mod_fastcgi", "mod_rewrite", "mod_accesslog", "mod_alias", "mod_compress")
10d9
<     setenv.add-response-header = ( "X-UA-Compatible" => "IE=EmulateIE7" )
57d55
<     setenv.add-response-header = ( "X-UA-Compatible" => "IE=EmulateIE7" )

# grep -B 1 setenv.add-response-header plesk.conf
$SERVER["socket"] == ":8443" {
    setenv.add-response-header = ( "X-UA-Compatible" => "IE=EmulateIE7" )
--
$SERVER["socket"] == ":8880" {
    setenv.add-response-header = ( "X-UA-Compatible" => "IE=EmulateIE7" )

After sw-cp-server restart:

Code:
# /etc/init.d/sw-cp-server stop
Stoppping SWsoft control panels server... stale pidfile.   [  OK  ]

# /etc/init.d/sw-cp-server start
Starting SWsoft control panels server...                   [  OK  ]

.. you can verify that header is being added by checking the control panel or just by getting any answer from the web server:

Code:
# telnet 192.168.5.68 8880
Trying 192.168.5.68...
Connected to 192.168.5.68.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1
host:plesk860.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
X-UA-Compatible: IE=EmulateIE7    <---!!! here it is
Expires: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:56:35 GMT
Expires: Fri, 28 May 1999 00:00:00 GMT
Cache-Control: max-age=2592000
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate
Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0
Last-Modified: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 00:56:36 GMT
Pragma: no-cache
P3P: CP="NON COR CURa ADMa OUR NOR UNI COM NAV STA"
Content-type: text/html
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 00:56:36 GMT
Server: sw-cp-server/1.0.0

3c4

<html><head><title></title>
                <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="/javascript/common.js?plesk_version=psa-9.2.2-92090714.19"/></script>
                <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="/javascript/prototype.js?plesk_version=psa-9.2.2-92090714.19"></script>
                <script>
                        var opt_no_frames = false;
                        var opt_integrated_mode = false;
                </script>

</head><body onLoad=";top.location='/login.php3';"></body></html><!--______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________IE error page size limitation______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-->

^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

Btw, in Plesk 8.6 I did it by modifying main file (httpsd.conf) and it was also needed to add AddModule mod_headers.c directive:

Code:
# pwd
/usr/local/psa/admin/conf

# diff httpsd.conf httpsd.conf.bak
232d231
< LoadModule headers_module libexec/mod_headers.so
259d257
< AddModule mod_headers.c
463,464d460
< Header set X-UA-Compatible "IE=EmulateIE7"
<

btw, JTRipper, I think in Windows it should be even simpler since usually Plesk CP is just another virtual host in IIS (if you haven't switched it to Apache of course). And as I understand it is possible to add custom header to output in IIS as well.

Although I didn't do it in Windows so I can't advise anything specific on this matter.

hi guys,

I know the official plesk article and I think it's pretty funny that Parallels uses user-comment's, but they never do anything like a "thank you"...

It's really sad, that they don't communicate with their customers (like forum users)

manuel

oh, don't worry, Manuel, I myself asked to create that KB article for everybody's sake, and I did get my "thanks" :)

oh, don't worry, Manuel, I myself asked to create that KB article for everybody's sake, and I did get my "thanks" :)

and yes, I did mention this topic so your input is as well appreciated!

but is still strange why a patch is not out yet.

indeed, Plesk updates are not as frequent as we wish, I hope this will be changed to Virtuozzo policy - monthly updates.

Hello,

I could really use a solution to this that works for Plesk in Windows. I tried adding the custom header in IIS but that doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

...and of course right after I submit my first post, I figure it out. :)

In case anyone else happens across this article and wonders how to get this to work for Windows, here's how:

1) Open up IIS Manager
2) Find PleskControlPanel under Web Sites, right-click and select Properties
3) Go to the Http Headers tab and click Add
4) For "custom header name" put in "X-UA-Compatible" (without the quotes) and for "custom header value" put in "IE=EmulateIE7" (again without the quotes) and click OK, then Apply.

You might need to restart the web site for it to take effect. This works in IIS 6 with Windows 2003 Server.

Back