• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue I am under SMTP attack

Jimlee3

Basic Pleskian
I checked my maillog today and saw a lot of SASL LOGIN authentication failed: authentication failure messages. It appears that I am under SMTP brute force attack. Fail2ban is enabled yet same person tried to login many times. Any ideas how to avoid this?

Hi Jimlee3,

Fail2ban is enabled yet same person tried to login many times. Any ideas how to avoid this?
if you experience issues by non-blocking fail2ban intruders, consider posting the fail2ban - log and it's corresponding fail2ban - configurations ( jails ) for mail - filters and actions. Be ware that you might set up the allowed attempts to a lower level and consider using an additional "recidive" - jail, to ban repeat offenders for a longer time.

Hi Jimlee3,

if you experience issues by non-blocking fail2ban intruders, consider posting the fail2ban - log and it's corresponding fail2ban - configurations ( jails ) for mail - filters and actions. Be ware that you might set up the allowed attempts to a lower level and consider using an additional "recidive" - jail, to ban repeat offenders for a longer time.

The problem is that the IP is changing every single time, I have enabled plesk-postfix and reduced login attempted to 1 and increased the time but still under attack
is there anyway I can disable SMTP remote access so people are enable to connect to SMTP remotely?

Hi Jimlee3,

is there anyway I can disable SMTP remote access so people are enable to connect to SMTP remotely?
You could find the answer to your question in your very own thread: => https://talk.plesk.com/threads/is-there-an-smtp-restrictions-in-plesk.340332/

To check, whether a Fail2Ban jail will fit ( and ban existent scripts/bots/intruders ) your current configuration, you could use for example the ssh - command ( logged in as user "root" ):

Code:
fail2ban-regex /var/log/maillog /etc/fail2ban/filter.d/postfix-sasl.conf --print-all-matched

Back