• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question I can not access Plesk through my college

Émerson Felinto

Regular Pleskian
As precise hosting manager is always connected to solve any problems. I have WIFI in my college, but I noticed that access to plesk did not work and my server's sites worked normally. After a better look at the problem I saw that the faculty only releases port 80 and 443. Which is a problem for me, since Plesk uses port 8443.

What suggestions do you have to access Plesk from my college, even with this block?

My college only allows ports 80 and 443. Will not this conflict with Apache?

VPN and hope they don't use deep packet inspection on the network....
I tried VPN but it did not work. I used this extension in the Chrome browser "BetterVPN". I do not understand much about the functioning of a VPN but I believe that everything that happens in it is encrypted, but no connection is allowed on other ports, not even encrypted. Only access to port 80 and 443 is released.

Why was Mark's response marked "best answer"? At some point I said that my question was answered?

*Thought the 'best answer' was user specific (vote), not topic sorry for that, in my opinion a vpn is the way to go.

Mayby you could try a ssl vpn solution but you will probably need a seperate host for that as Apache uses 443 and you cannot reuse ports.

A ssl vpn can listen on port 443 and with that bypass a firewall blocking out all other ports. In my case I just started using a mobile hotspot with no port filter on my phone if I really needed to access the Plesk interface as the situation was only for a few months.

Last edited:
I thought I could use a dedicated IP and through IPTABLES I could forward the packets from port 8443 to port 443. Would that be possible?

That way my server would understand that I'm using port 8443, when in fact the packets are being transmitted and sent again via 443.

Well, you could create a website on your server, that does reverse proxy to the plesk panel, the same way nginx does it to connect to the apache2.
This can easily be done via the panel itself and does not require manuell fiddeling with config files.

So, how to do it:

1) create a domain with the required name you'd like to access the panel with later on
2) under the hosting settings of this domain, disable all options (php, fastcgi, perl, statistics, etc.)
3) unter Apache & nginx settings disable the "Proxy mode" and add the following lines on "Addition nginx settings"
Code:
location / {
    proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:8880;
    proxy_set_header Host             $host;
    proxy_set_header X-Real-IP        $remote_addr;
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For  $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
    proxy_set_header X-Accel-Internal /internal-nginx-static-location;
    access_log off;
  }

After that you can access the Panel via this domain/website
This method does also allow you to set up additional URLs to access the panel with, i.e. if you want to have seperate URLs for customers and secure them with an LE certificate.

WOW!

This method would certainly be very effective and would help me, the problem is that at the moment I am using Litespeed and Nginx has to be obligatori off :(

But beautiful attempt!

Well, Litespeed does surely also allow reverse proxy stuff, and it that fails, this can also be achieved with the apache2.
Though I'm not sure if that can be configured as easy within the Plesk panel or if it requires a bit more custom and manual configuration

Right!
I understand what you meant in a way, but Litespeed "forces" me to stop the Nginx service. This way, this code that you gave me will not work.

Maybe a workaround would be to use Docker, but this would make everything more complex :(

Back