1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice

IIS and Apache running at the same time?

Discussion in 'Plesk for Windows - 8.x and Older' started by Scissor, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Scissor

Scissor Guest

I was looking at the running services last night an noticed that Apache was one of the running services.

this confused me a bit as I'm sure Plesk is using IIS for serving up pages.

Why is Apache running?
    Should it be running?
    How do I resolve it if it's a problem?

PS. I don't believe I ever proactively turned on Apache (not on purpose anyway.)

2. alex042

alex042 Guest

I believe plesk for windows is similar to plesk for linux in that it runs its own copy of apache just for the plesk control panel login but instead of running a second copy of apache for customer websites, it uses iis to serve up those websites.

3. sieb@

sieb@ Guest

Alex is right, Apache is only used for the Control Panel with SSL. IIS handles the rest. I don't think you can get away with both listening on port 80 though (CP uses 8443).

4. Scissor

Scissor Guest

Thanks guys, I guess that makes sense especially if you imagine using the control panel to 'restart' the webserver (IIS), you wouldn't want your control panel going away too.

I also noticed tomcat.exe is running as well. Is this another control panel facility?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just like know what's installed, running, and why ;)

5. sieb@

sieb@ Guest

Tomcat is for running Java apps (jsp, jservlets)on websites (like the ssh terminal in 7.1Reloaded on *nix). .

6. Scissor

Scissor Guest

Great, thank you!

PS. I love Plesk!!
    I got here by accident really ... I had a nightmarish experience with Ensim for Windows, and one of the other unhappy ensim customers said they were switching to Plesk... I followed his lead and am very happy I did :D

It's an Awesome product