• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

IIS and Apache running at the same time?

S

Scissor

I was looking at the running services last night an noticed that Apache was one of the running services.

this confused me a bit as I'm sure Plesk is using IIS for serving up pages.

Why is Apache running?
Should it be running?
How do I resolve it if it's a problem?

PS. I don't believe I ever proactively turned on Apache (not on purpose anyway.)

I believe plesk for windows is similar to plesk for linux in that it runs its own copy of apache just for the plesk control panel login but instead of running a second copy of apache for customer websites, it uses iis to serve up those websites.

Alex is right, Apache is only used for the Control Panel with SSL. IIS handles the rest. I don't think you can get away with both listening on port 80 though (CP uses 8443).

Thanks guys, I guess that makes sense especially if you imagine using the control panel to 'restart' the webserver (IIS), you wouldn't want your control panel going away too.

I also noticed tomcat.exe is running as well. Is this another control panel facility?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just like know what's installed, running, and why ;)

Tomcat is for running Java apps (jsp, jservlets)on websites (like the ssh terminal in 7.1Reloaded on *nix). .

Great, thank you!

PS. I love Plesk!!
I got here by accident really ... I had a nightmarish experience with Ensim for Windows, and one of the other unhappy ensim customers said they were switching to Plesk... I followed his lead and am very happy I did :D

It's an Awesome product

Back