• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

In need of a logwatch how-to

C

criticman

So logwatch is installed properly already with the OS I guess since I know I didn't install it and running a yum update logwatch shows it is up to date.

Well, how the heck do I use it? I configured the logwatch.conf file to have my email address and I confirmed it had valid log file paths.

I tried running "example" commands from the MAN on logwatch.org and nothing happens, it just pauses for a second then goes back to command prompt. I even specified --print to output anything for me to see but nope, nothing.

Any pointers to a better config would be great!

Ok, I've run into this problem myself. The easy fix for me was as follows..

Create a forwarding domain for the box (i.e. if your box name is "my.box.name", you create the standard-redirect website for my.box.name to go to your website. Configure the e-mail. Any unknown e-mail, forward to [email protected]. This will send any e-mail sent to *@my.box.name to [email protected]. (This will help with cronjobs and e-mails for them)...

Next, this is important.. Remove the e-mail address you added to logwatch. It doesn't do any good there. It's still going to send to the same place when run from [email protected]. (Again, this is why you set up the above standard-redirect).

Now, my reasons for saying use a standard redirect are as follows: Keeps your traffic to the right place, gives you options for e-mail, (i.e. accounts at my.box.name.).

Anyway, I hope this helps with what you were trying to do. Let me know if you need anything else.

-John

Without actually doing anything else, I saw this morning that I had an e-mail from LogWatch. So, just by putting my email in the config, it worked.

Back