• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question index.html served before index.php

futureweb

Regular Pleskian
Hello,
one of our Onyx Servers - out of nothing (no config changes) - started to prefer index.html instead of index.php ... broke lot's of Hostings on that Server.
Any idea what could have happened here?!?
thx
Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

Hi futureweb,

pls. inspect your DEFAULT settings, by either inspeciting your domain specific configuration files, or by heading over to

=> HOME > Subscriptions > YOUR-DOMAIN.COM > Apache & NGINX settings

... where you are able to click at "Enter custom value" at => Index files. This will show you the default setting, which can be modified at any time, to fit your needs.

Current ( standart ) settings are:
Code:
index.html index.cgi index.pl index.php index.xhtml index.htm index.shtml

Plesk-Onyx_Apache_and_nginx_Settings_Index-files_001.png

Hey UFHH01,
fast as always! ;-)

It's still on the Standard Setting - (index.html before index.php) - but today we already got several Calls from Customers that their Websites are suddenly broken out of nothing ...
I verified that no changes were made in those Hostings ... index.html/index.php reside side by side since years on those Hostings .... (and their Site worked the last years ... ;-) )

upload_2017-7-28_10-7-25.png

So really no idea why out of nothing the Default Order of DirectoryIndex kicks in - and why it worked until now .... ?!?

weird ...

Andreas

Hi futureweb,

first, I would like to mention, that it is always a wise idea to either REMOVE, or RENAME the default "index.html", which is installed during a domain/subdomain - creation ( with files from your folder "/var/www/vhosts/.skel" ). There is no need to keep unnecessary files at the document root folder of a domain/subdomain. You should point your customer to this very first step, BEFORE they upload/create own content.

If ( for what ever reason ), the "index.php" - files has been served before the "index.html", then this could only be by directly opening the full URL, or with possible rewrites/directives at the webserver configuration files, or with the help of ".htaccess" - files.
Another option is the configuration over the CMS/content itself, where you might choose different SEO - redirects, which is either stored in content - depending configuration files, or at the corresponding database for that domain/subdomain.

Another option are temporary internet files and/or cookies, stored on local PC's ( browser caching ), which are used to serve internet content faster. Depending to the browser/content settings, cookies will expire and session IDs might have been deleted, so that the content is again served from your server, instead of using the local stored internet files. ;)

As we are "only" the Hosting Provider - we can't force our Customers to remove index.html - it's all up to them what they do with their Webspace ... :)
Normally this wouldn't be something I look into but as it worked for them for the last few years without any problems - and today 3-4 Customers call us that their Website suddenly stopped working our of nothing ... that's too many for it just being coincidence... so something must have changed on the Server Side. (and I know it wasn't me! ;-)
So unfortunately none of your Explanations (.htaccess, Cookies, ... fits in here :-( )

And I also don't have an idea why it worked for them first hand ... o_O

*sigh*

btw) marked your first post as answer - as it fixes the problems for those customers (or they can just delete the standard index.html) ... but I'm still puzzled WHY it worked the last years for them and then suddenly stopped working out of nothing ... (some changes by OS update? Plesk Auto Update? ... ?)

Last edited:
We have had exactly the same thing happen at roughly the same time as you and last night 7th-8th August on stacks of subscriptions.

I suspect a microupdate was applied by Plesk as the conf files have been touched but nothing changed. Suddenly a stack of sites show the index.html instead of index.php... there is a VERY ODD issue.

And yes the order for DirectoryIndex is .html ... .php etc but thats not the REAL issue, its worked fine for 3 or more years for some of the subscriptions and suddenly a stack fail at once overnight at the same time with no human intervention.

Sid

We also have messages from different customers.
The index.html was definitely erased before. Plesk seems to have saved this file again.

That is very bizzare..... its hard to see how a microupdate would recreate the default index.html files... but anything is possible!

Back