• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

is it possible to turn off innodb?

Linulex

Silver Pleskian
I dont want clients to install heavy duty scripts like magento on a cheap hosting account. The easiest way to do this is turning off innodb engine.
But is this possible? Will plesk 11 work then without innodb?

If this isnt possible, does anyone know another way to prevent this?

regards
Jan

Plesk has internal dependency on InnoDB. You won't be able to install or manage APS applications in Plesk if InnoDB is disabled.

Last edited:
so if i dont use the APS from plesk it is possible?

I dont use them anyway because they have a fundamental flaw: its impossible to update installed script. I use installatron.

Generally we cannot guarantee Plesk will work without InnoDB. Most likely it won't. You can try but it is at your own risk.

APS can update installed scripts. Maybe it wasn't available before 2010, but it shall be available for a long time already. In 11.0 - open an installed application and if update is available - you can install it. In 11.5 (currently - in preview stage) we added option of automatic updates. Also admin can optionally enforce automatic updates for their customers (for security reasons).

I will not try it then.

I know the aps couldnt update before and i dont know if they can now, i haven't tried them anymore, as i sayd: i use installatron and the plesk aps are disabled and will stay disabled.

auto updating and admins enforcing updates is a nice theory, but thats all it is. It is not workable in real life.

Installatron has these features for several years, i have tried them, used them, and i have lost clients because of them. When a website uses and addon or theme in wp or joomla that isnt compatible with the updated version, then you as the hosting company will mess up that clients website.

Older, even unsecure, versions of scripts are not a problem with a good overall security strategy in place. Some absolute musts are an up to date mod_security, /tmp nonexec, kernel based inotify real time maldet scanning, php as cgi or mod_ruid2, so ssh, etc...

Rendering a clients website un-usable is however not an option.

regards
Jan

Hi Jan,

We definitely agree that automatic upgrade of customers' applications has a risk and thus most hosters should probably avoid that. Thus we don't make it default.
On the other side we heard from quite many hosters that they would prefer some sites broken, than everyone hacked because of a vulnerable application.
I guess there may be different business models - so we leave the choice to an admin.

Back