• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Is safe to remove big size data file log-browser.sqlite3 and /var/log/syslog?

Naranjito

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Web Host Edition Version 18.0.63 Update #4
Hi,
I just saw in Diskspace Usage Viewer that there are files like file log-browser.sqlite3 and /var/log/syslog and others (attached screenshot ) consuming big hard disk data.
Is safe to remove them?
Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 9
The Diskusage Viewer sometimes gives the wrong file size.
Can you check the real size on the command line?
Code:
# du -sh /opt/var/psa/modules/log-browser/log-browser.sqlite3

And what about /var/log/syslog.1? 15GB size...server it's at 95% full and when does a backup crashes all domains...please need help asap...ty in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1
@Naranjito Out of interest / possible use. Have you configured log rotation correctly - in all the different areas that you can? Some items that you've included in your first <appear to be> just data accumulation over time, because of either; over generous (or absent) effective & pro-active, log rotation configurations.

I just did...but seems that will be effective from now on...the problem of 2 files of 44GB + 15GB now (increasing daily) are filling up the server to max capacity, need to know asap if i can remove those 2 files safely...thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.jpg
    Screenshot_5.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_6.jpg
    Screenshot_6.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 4
I just did...but seems that will be effective from now on...the problem of 2 files of 44GB + 15GB now (increasing daily) are filling up the server to max capacity, need to know asap if i can remove those 2 files safely...thanks
There's quite a lot more too it than that unfortunately, as there's a few different areas to fully control log rotation / retention and then there's the configuration of this too: /etc/systemd/journald.conf Plus, not sure (as we don't use it) but do Plesk even support sqlite? This previous post appears to say; no they don't (well as a database that is)
When @AYamshanov responds to the previous request in post #4 you'll be much clearer on what options are available to you.

Hi!

I have seen the thread a moment ago. I can't answer the question about how safe it is to remove only this file (log-browser.sqlite3) right now; the developers with expertise in the extension have a public holiday today.

Anyway, it is safe to remove the extension; during the removal, Plesk also removes the file as a part of the extension. Then, you can re-install the extension. Also, it makes sense to tune the next panel.ini options for the extension,

To customize for what period data should be processed, add the following lines to the panel.ini file:
[ext-log-browser]
mailQueue.firstEntryOffset = 2678400 ; in seconds

By default, information about emails with the Rejected status is removed from the extension's database after 48 hours to prevent rapid growth of the database. If you need to set another period for storing this information, you can always add the following lines to the panel.ini file:
[ext-log-browser]
mailQueue.rejectedRemovalPeriod = 172800 ; in seconds

If nothing help, yos, yon disable the feature. To disable the Track Email Delivery, add the following lines to the panel.ini file:
[ext-log-browser]
mailQueue.customerAccess = false

I also recommend contacting the Plesk support team to investigate what went wrong. If it happened because of a bug, we can address it in one of the further bug-fix releases.

Back