• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Issues setting up MySQL Remote Access

Slarpon

New Pleskian
Hi!

I'm having trouble connecting to my databases with a database management application. Currently I'm having to use PHPMyAdmin to manage my databases which is not perfect. Can anyone see what steps I'm missing?

I've followed all the steps from this support article and this one and checked the following;
  • In Database Hosting Settings the setting is set to 'Allow remote connections from any host' and also checked is the option 'Allow local MySQL server to accept external connections'
  • The specific database I'm connecting to is set to 'Allow remote connections from any host'
  • In `/etc/my.cnf` the bind-address is set to 0.0.0.0
  • I've whitelisted my own IP in the Plesk Firewall, it's also not in fail2ban

Any error message you received when you try to remotely connect to the database on your server?

I'd would also check whether or not port 3306, the default MySQL port, is open on your firewall (both on your own server as well as on the firewall of your provider, if they have any).

Hi, thanks for your reply!

The error message is very generic;

Unable to connect to host example.com, or the request timed out.

Be sure that the address is correct and that you have the necessary privileges, or try increasing the connection timeout (currently 10 seconds).

MySQL said: Unknown MySQL server host 'example.com' (0)
Unknown MySQL server host 'example.com' (0)

(I've changed my actual site to 'example.com')

I was not aware that firewalld was active and I've specifically set port 3306 to open but unfortunatetly that didn't solve the issue;

[root@vin ~]# firewall-cmd --zone=public --permanent --add-port=3306/tcp
success
[root@vin ~]# firewall-cmd --zone=public --permanent --list-ports
3306/tcp

Perhaps a firewall (or some other program) is blocking the connection on your own computer or network?

You could check if port 3306 is accessible from an online port checker such as Open Port Check Tool (not sure if this is a safe service, use at your own risk).

Back