• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Issues when i try to make command plesk repair fs

Itsik Hassine

New Pleskian
Hello,

I have an error when I run the command plesk repair fs: here is the output of the command:
Checking Linux system files

There are incorrect permissions on some items: /dev/null .......... [ERROR]
To see more details, run the command in the verbose mode: plesk repair fs -verbose
Repairing incorrect permissions ................................. [2019-11-16 11:25:27.426] ERR [util_exec] proc_close() failed ['/opt/psa/admin/bin/fsmng' '--set-ac' '/dev/null'] with exit code [1]
[FAILED]
- fsmng failed: ERROR:[Errno 1] Operation not permitted:
'/dev/null'

There are incorrect permissions on some items: /dev/random ........ [ERROR]
To see more details, run the command in the verbose mode: plesk repair fs -verbose
Repairing incorrect permissions ................................. [2019-11-16 11:25:28.163] ERR [util_exec] proc_close() failed ['/opt/psa/admin/bin/fsmng' '--set-ac' '/dev/random'] with exit code [1]
[FAILED]
'/dev/random'

There are incorrect permissions on some items: /dev/urandom ....... [ERROR]
Repairing incorrect permissions ................................. [2019-11-16 11:25:28.924] ERR [util_exec] proc_close() failed ['/opt/psa/admin/bin/fsmng' '--set-ac' '/dev/urandom'] with exit code [1]
[FAILED]
'/dev/urandom'

Checking virtual hosts' file system

There are files or directories with suspicious permissions in the
root directory of the domain 'domain1.com' ................. [WARNING]

root directory of the domain 'domain2.com' ..................... [WARNING]

root directory of the domain 'domain3.com' ........................... [WARNING]

Error messages: 3; Warnings: 3; Errors resolved: 0

exit status 1

The question I ask myself: How to make it work again and how could it have happened?

Thanking you

Could you please tell us your OS and version? Are you using a VPS and if so, which virtualization technology?

What are the permissions of /dev/null etc.?
Code:
[user@server ~]# ls -als /dev/{null,random,urandom}
0 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 Oct 31 02:03 /dev/null
0 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 8 Oct 31 02:03 /dev/random
0 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 9 Oct 31 02:03 /dev/urandom

Is your udev running?
Code:
ps -Alf | grep udev

Have you tried 'plesk repair fs -verbose' ?

Is there something obviously odd in the root of domain1.com, domain2.com or domain3.com?

Thanks for your reply,
Im working on Proxmox LXC container with Debian 9,
My Permission :
root@plesk:/# ls -als /dev/{null,random,urandom}
0 crw-rw-rw- 1 nobody nogroup 1, 3 Nov 4 11:07 /dev/null
0 crw-rw-rw- 1 nobody nogroup 1, 8 Nov 4 11:07 /dev/random
0 crw-rw-rw- 1 nobody nogroup 1, 9 Nov 4 11:07 /dev/urandom

When i try to change owner i got operation not permitted permission denied.

My udev seems runing :
root@plesk:/# ps -Alf | grep udev
4 S root 45 1 0 80 0 - 10757 ep_pol 10:03 ? 00:00:00 /lib/systemd/systemd-udevd
0 S root 92381 87876 0 80 0 - 2777 pipe_w 14:09 pts/4 00:00:00 grep udev

when i try plesk repair -verbose i obtain:
root@plesk:/# plesk repair fs -verbose

Checking Linux system files

There are incorrect permissions on some items: /dev/null .......... [ERROR]
- Incorrect owner of /dev/null. Expected: root (0). Actual:
nobody (65534).
Incorrect group of /dev/null. Expected: root (0). Actual:
nogroup (65534).
Do you want to repair incorrect permissions? [Y/n] Y
Repairing incorrect permissions ................................. [2019-11-16 14:11:22.275] ERR [util_exec] proc_close() failed ['/opt/psa/admin/bin/fsmng' '--set-ac' '/dev/null'] with exit code [1]
[FAILED]
'/dev/null'

There are incorrect permissions on some items: /dev/random ........ [ERROR]
- Incorrect owner of /dev/random. Expected: root (0). Actual:
nobody (65534).
Incorrect group of /dev/random. Expected: root (0). Actual:
nogroup (65534).
Do you want to repair incorrect permissions? [Y/n] Y
Repairing incorrect permissions ................................. [2019-11-16 14:11:23.989] ERR [util_exec] proc_close() failed ['/opt/psa/admin/bin/fsmng' '--set-ac' '/dev/random'] with exit code [1]
[FAILED]
'/dev/random'

It does not seem to have anything weird at the root of the domains in question, it is about site wordpress and prestashop

Thank You again

After long testing I think this problem is so long here, and only when it is installed on Container. When installing Plesk on VM type does not get any error.

I get the same error and problem as before but for the community, I uploaded a screenshot, for the future if someone gets the same error.

So a little more analysis and someone of explanation from my side can be like.
Container Isolation:
Containers are designed to provide isolated environments. They do this, in part, by limiting the container's ability to interact with certain system-level resources. This can include restrictions on modifying device files in /dev.

Ownership and Permissions in Containers:
The ownership of these device files as nobody:nogroup in LXC container is likely a security and isolation feature of LXC. It prevents containerized applications from inadvertently or maliciously affecting these critical system files, which could impact both the container and the host system.

Managing Changes in Containers:
If need to change the ownership or permissions of these files within the LXC container, it's typically done via container configuration settings rather than direct manipulation within the container. This is because changes within the container can be restricted or overridden by the container management system.

Potential Implications of Changes:
Attempting to forcibly change the ownership of these device files within the LXC container might not be advisable. It could lead to unexpected behavior or stability issues within the container. The configuration set by LXC is usually optimized for both functionality and security.

Consulting Documentation and Support:
For specific needs or configurations, consult the LXC documentation or relevant support forums. If there is a specific requirement for these device files to have root:root ownership within the container, there might be a recommended method for achieving this within the scope of LXC's configuration capabilities.

In summary, the difference in ownership of /dev/null, /dev/random, and /dev/urandom between the standard Debian / Ubuntu or Almalinux / RockyLinux server and the LXC container is due to the differing nature and security models of standalone systems versus containerized environments. Changes to these files within the container should be handled cautiously and ideally through LXC's configuration mechanisms.

But the problem that Plesk has I hope can be fixed because after testing all versions that are available and Plesk support, I get the same error on fresh Plesk installation. In the image that I attached, you can see, where is the problem.

As i said i testing on all support OS in this moment what you see on the official Plesk Software Requirements for Plesk Obsidian

And if you scroll down you can see

Supported virtualization​

The following virtualization platforms are supported:
  • VMware
  • XEN
  • Virtuozzo 7
  • OpenVZ
  • KVM
  • Hyper-V
  • LXC (Docker)
So that means Plesk needs to work on how can officially support Proxmox

Attachments