• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Java Web Application not initializing in Tomcat

ashiers

New Pleskian
Hi,

I have a VPS (Virtual Private Server) at GoDaddy.com. I'm running Plesk with the latest version of Tomcat 7. Tomcat installed just fine and I was able to upload my war file via Plesk, however, two important files within the application: context.xml and web.xml don't seem to be read in and initializing anything. I'm using log4j for logging errors and during the initialization, log4j creates a log file. Since web.xml is not being read in by Tomcat, then log4j isn't being initialized and I don't get the log file. So, I don't get to see any error messages, though there must be some going on. Also, context.xml is responsible for setting up a connection pool with MySQL. I don't think context.xml is being read in either since I have many pages where I'm running queries to the database and I'm getting nothing displayed.

I was thinking that maybe I need to reload the application to force Tomcat to read in the xml files. That didn't work. Then I thought, reload Tomcat itself. That didn't work.

Is there a separate document someplace for Plesk 11.5 that focuses just on Java web Applications with Tomcat and how to troubleshoot these kinds of issues? I've invested a great deal of time, effort, and money into this project and would have thought that after 11 versions of Plesk, Parallels would have had this all figured out by now. So how do I know when the xml files are being read in properly? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Alan

Back