• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue My plesk server is completely down

MrPleskLearner

Basic Pleskian
Hello everyone,

Yesterday night everything was alright. But today morning i received following error mail from plesk:

The following errors occurred during the scheduled backup process:

pmm-ras failed (Error code = 1): Repository error: Failed to read backup backup_2304262116.tar: Transport error: Extension transport: ext://one-drive-backup/server/: Physical files read not supported

After this message i tried to log in plesk but after i clicked login, the page was not reacting. My webpage and my webmail were down.

I could log in to putty but it was too slow. I could not even run top command.

Then i did "sudo reboot now" and after that i could not even log in via putty.

Strato told me that there is an issue with my server, that all ports are blocked and no one can reach the server anymore.

I tried to start rescue mode on Strato panel. Actually it should take 10 mins but rescue mode didn't start after 1 hour. I called strato and they opened a ticket. After 5 hours, the rescue mode was activated. Then i could log in via Putty but it was too laggy. I tried to restart server on Strato panel and i am waiting since 2 hours again.

I don't know what should i do now? I would appreciate for any helps... Many thanks!

Most certainly this issue is not related to the Plesk software. Instead, some serious underlying issue must exist. I'd guess that when the server is slow in rescue mode, it is hit by a DDoS attack where some requests come through. Did your provider mention this? Did they check it?

If you have the option have get a KVM console (a serial console) attached to the server so that you can actually see what is happening on the screen during the complete boot phase, it would help to rule out issues with boot processes.

If a console cannot be attached, you could just into the blue check whether your disks are working correctly:

First list the partitions and file system types on the hdd we want to check:
# parted /dev/sda 'print'

It is possible that your devices are not named "sda" etc. adapt the command(s) to it. Then check each partition (normally 2 through n in our system) with flags -M (prevents checks on mounted file systems), -t (sets the file system type; see parted output above), -f (run a full check even if the file system is reported ‘clean’), -n (only check and report, do not fix anything at this time).

These COULD be some examples:
# fsck -M -t ext3 -f -n /dev/sda2
# fsck -M -t ext4 -f -n /dev/sda3
# fsck -M -t ext4 -f -n /dev/sda4
# fsck -M -t ext4 -f -n /dev/sda5

Make sure that the filesystem type is correct! Do not run a check with ext3 on an ext4 file system and vice versa.

If a file system is corrupt, fix it with the -y parameter, for example:
# fsck -M -t ext4 -f -y /dev/sda5

I was having the same problem, but I was using Digital Ocean, this problem was happening on 3 different servers, so it is a BUG with plesk or the extension.

So to solve the problem, I configured it to use Google Drive, which I used for a long time without any problems.

Everything is working normally now.

Plesk compresses the file and sends the backup file, but the expected backup file is of size X but ends up receiving a larger file of size Y, hence the error.

Back