• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Joomla Toolkit Backup problems

Roderic

New Pleskian
Hello, I bought the Joomla Toolkit yesterday and ran into a few issues right away:
  1. The backups can be huge as you cannot exclude anything (logs, image folder, etc).
  2. The backup file is placed in the root of the vhost. This adds up to the disk space calculation of the client.
  3. When you try to change the backup / update settings, you first have to empty the username/password field all the time otherwise you'll be changing them.
  4. When the toolkit cannot update a plugin (one site had this with Virtuemart Skrill payment plugin), it will keep on trying every hour and create a backup with every attempt as well.
So is there a way to exclude the backup folder from the disk space calculation?

Cheers

So is there a way to exclude the backup folder from the disk space calculation?
Why should an actual occupation of disk space not be counted?
No, there is no way to exclude the backup folder from disk space calculation.

Why should an actual occupation of disk space not be counted?
No, there is no way to exclude the backup folder from disk space calculation.
For the same reason you can exclude mail / databases / Plesk native backup / etcetera from the disk space calculation in Tools&settings -> Server Settings:

So my question remains. A "exclude"option would also do the trick, like in the plesk native backup:
  • Exclude log files. Select this option if you want all log files (including the logs from the system directory) to be excluded from backup.
  • Exclude certain files from the backup. Select this option if you do not want to include some files or directories into backup. For example, you may want to exclude log files or temporary file directories from backup. If you have no access to some files, you can also exclude these files from backup in order to avoid errors. Specify the files or directories according to the following rules:

These are three different things. A backup that is done from within a software that a user installs in his own web space is an ordinary file. You can exclude such a file from your own backup that you configure in the web space control panel, but it is still counted against your quota just as all other files are.

The exclusion of disk space calculation can be configured for all or no objects of the same type and affects all accounts on the same system.

What you are asking for is being able to store files in your web space account, however to exclude such files from the disk space calculation although they are regular files of your own account. Frankly honest, if the system allowed web space account owners to exclude certain files from the disk space calculation of their accounts, I guarantee that all users will exclude everything in order to have "unlimited" disk space in their accounts, because nothing counts against their quota anymore.

If you want to find out whether such a feature makes sense and others think so too, you can post this as a feature suggestion here:
If it gets enough votes, Plesk will consider implementing it.

What I am asking for is a solution to this problem:

example: A client on my server has a Joomla website and his plan offers him 5gb. He uses 3gb so he has plenty of storage left. Now the JTK runs a backup before installing an update, stores the backup in his webspace and boom, he has 6gb instead of 3gb and is way over his limit.

So, I could think of several solutions:
  1. Integrate the Plesk Backup into Joomla Toolkit, let it create a incremental backup each time it updates joomla/plugins.
  2. Place the backup file created by JTK outside of the webspace
  3. Add options to the JTK backup to exclude certain files so the backup doesn't get too big. For example, allowing to exclude the images folder would do the trick with 9/10 joomla websites.

Yes of course he is over the limit, that's the nature of a website. If he needs 6 GB for files and backups, he needs to rent 6 GB. Why should a provider give a client 6 GB storage space when he only rents 5 GB? It does not make sense to me.

But after all, I am not the one to decide it. You can suggest the feature in User Voice, and if others think it is a good think, they'll vote for it.

Back