• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved License question: How to move from one server to another?

King555

Regular Pleskian
I want to move from one server to another. Both have Plesk installed. The first, with Plesk 12.5, currently has an active license, the other one (Plesk 17.5) does not have any license at this moment.

How do you do the migration, which might take two or three days (in my case), when there is only one license? As far as I know the Plesk license agreement forbids to use one license on two servers (of course). Buying (renting) two licenses is too expensive for this short amount of time.

Is there any way to do this "legally"? During the migration process both servers have to work, I will transfer one website after another.

Thanks, that's an option. How many days does this license work? And can I choose the license type (e. g. Web Admin Edition), because I want to have only the feature which my full license has, while configuring the server.

And what's the correct way to disable the license on the old server and enabling it on the other server? I guess when I just upload the license file to the new one the license server will say that this license is currently used by another server.

I got the same interrogations... the documentation I've found tell me that after March 2016 we dont have account on the plesk store, so how can we manage our license keys?
And how can I be sure that my license is active and work well...
We can't permit that the server was down only because of a license key!

The free trial can give us time but what we need is a solid procedure of HOW to do it safely.

OK, I will do this. Thanks.

Edit: And done. I will report back when I get a reply.

Last edited:
I just wanted to report back what the support said:

- I asked whether my 12.5 lease license (web admin edition) is valid for Plesk 17.5, and it is, according to this link: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/214528785-Is-my-Plesk-license-compatible-with-Plesk-Onyx-

- On the 7th of April I got a trial license valid until 26th of April (although Plesk itself says 9th of March, maybe because I installed it on the 9th of April, which would mean one month). And I could choose the web admin edition, but there are some additional features in the trial license.

- I entered the trial key on my old server and will upload the old key to my new server, this seems to be the recommended way.

Back