• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Limit apache (thread) connections per request?

E

ElricM

I've been having trouble the past few days with someone who's been "attacking" my site so to speak by continuously downloading very large files with as many connections as (he) can open. I operate a large downloads site for computer games, this person has selected the largest files (like 400-500MB). Not sure of the real intent other than to clog up my bandwidth capacity. Also he appears to be using proxies since as soon as I ban one, another shows up seeminly from China.

Anyway, I have mod_bw and I've limited the number of connections in the downloads area to 2. While that works ok, his tool uses threads like a download manager would and he's using up 30-40 child threads for his 2 file downloads.

So 2 questions,

Is there anyway to not only limit file downloads to 2, but limit the number of connections per request? Many of my visitors do use download managers and I'd like for them to continue using them but use a reasonable number of threads like 6 or 8, but not 30.

Also, is there a way to restrict access to someone using a proxy?

I have been working with web servers for over 10 years, and what your talking about doesn't exist. What does exist is the ability to submit multiple "GET" requests and specify "ranges", but they are separate connections and should be managed by your bandwidth module as such.

Also, I recall reading that the government of China requires all ISPs to push traffic through their proxies. So you may not be able to stop this problem, I would do a reverse lookup and a whois on the proxy IPs. Perhaps they are open proxies, but I know China is a bit quirky when it comes to this stuff.

Back