• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Linux memory cache keeps getting higher is this normal?

bramokki

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
v18.0.52
Few weeks ago i bought a new dedicated server switched from a vps with plesk. I migrated my websites using the plesk migrator.
On the last vps the cached ram was never getting higher than 2gb on a 16gb system. Now i have a 64gb ddr5 and every day the cached ram seems to get higher.
Sometimes adds 4gb when plesk makes a back-up. My question is will this be a problem? when i restart plesk all the cache is gone.
I used to have this issue few years back too where the cached memory was getting to high using cyberpanel. I only had 1 woocommerce website and the server would shutdown until i emptied the cache. Switched to a vps with plesk never had the issues again. One vps also had this issue until i reinstalled plesk completely from scratch and i would manually import my wordpress website. I am trying to figure out what the problem is and if i should reinstall plesk again? i already tried using the repair kit but did this not fix the issue.

fc47fd5448a505bad8d13215193be20a.png

8a944ecb89a488571a534b43994878b5.png

Thanks, on last vps the same website and plesk did not use that much cached memory so i thought it might be a configuration problem.
And since with other panels the server crashed. I will just wait till it hits 100% cached memory and see what happens.

Thanks, on last vps the same website and plesk did not use that much cached memory so i thought it might be a configuration problem.
And since with other panels the server crashed. I will just wait till it hits 100% cached memory and see what happens.
You won't see that on a vps because this layer of caching will be done on the physical host.

That may be, but the vps host will still use all otherwise unused ram for caching. How exactly it is assigned depends on whether you have a separate device/filesystem for your vps or it lives within the host filesystem. If you have a separate physical device passed through to your vps, there may be more cache used inside the vps than with a device the host manages itself.

Hmm okay i just remember 2 years ago i had a vps with not that much ram only 2gb and the server would crash when it hit too much cached memory.
With the same website. I don't want it to happen again. But if this is normal i will just wait it out till it hits 100% and see what happens. Since every time there is a scheduled plesk back-up it adds 3gb cached ram.

Back