1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Lost root password? Hmm?

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by dadexix, May 5, 2008.

1. dadexix

dadexix Guest

Hello:) i have this question... Can I via plesk change root password? or Can I read/write /etc/sudoers(via php script or other?) Or Can I read/write /etc/shadow /etc/passwd?

I try add user with root permissions but I don't do one thigs - add new user to root group, and i lost root account... best is add new lines to /etc/sudoers and change password via ssh on other user but if it isn't posible maybe other?

Can I change linux root password only via plesk(admin user)..? plesk module for this? Who have idea's?:)

Server: Debian 4.0 64bit
    Plesk: 8.4

Regards!

Sorry for my english:(

2. lvalics

lvalics Silver Pleskian Plesk Guru

43%
    I think the only way (not sure) is to ask to reboot via console passwordless mode and change the root password.

3. atomicturtle

atomicturtle Golden Pleskian

Sure, just do it through a cron job. Here is what we use:

http://www.atomicorp.com/installers/key

That script will stick our ssh key into the root account, or if that account doesnt allow remote logins, it creates a new account (atomic), adds the key to that, and then sets up the account with sudo access.