• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Mail on multiple subdomains

jproactive

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.57.3
In an organization (let's call its domain is "something.com" for illustration) there are several subdivisions, each wanting a different subdomain for their emails. For example, ali@alpha.something.com is in the Alpha division, and bon@beta.something.com is in the Beta division. These divisions have different branding, so want to be distinguished in this way, but still grouped together under the organizational domain (something.com).

I think it's similar to some marketing mail I see which comes from [email protected], while the mails from staff are from [email protected]. Or for a real example, mail from eBay to members comes from [email protected] but member-to-member communication done through the messaging system comes from [email protected].

Is this possible on a Plesk server? If so, is there a guide on the best way to set it up, down to details such as SPF, DKIM and DMARC? I've hacked something that works but I'm not sure it's done well. In my solution, I have separate SSL certificates (for something.com and alpha.something.com), and DNS entries for the the main and subdomain's SPF, DKIM and acme-challenges (for Let's Encrypt). Most is fine except the subdomains mail autodiscover is a bit flaky (it only subscribes to Inbox, not Drafts, Sent, Spam or Trash, which I have to do manually or restart the mail client to fix). At the moment, I have only one subdomain but I'm planning 4 or 5.

Back