• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mail Preferences - Bounce

G

globodata

While setting up mail preferences I have optios to 'Mail to nonexistent user' :

- bounce
- catchall

What does exactly bounce mean ? The sender will receive any message ?

I don´t want to use the server to reply senders, specially spammers, when is a nonexistent user.

I´d like just to disccard theses messages.

Dawersonn

Bounce (the default) means that SMTP server on Plesk side will return error 550 "No such user". Whether the user on another side will get anything in mail or not, depends on the setting of his SMTP servers, by default most servers will generate "Undeliverable mail" message.

Now, if you want to accept all mail to unknown users, and silently reject it - just create a catch-all mailbox, and clean it peiodically. You might even write a script and run it from scheduler to do this.

We might add this feature in the future releases if you find it useful.

Thank you for anwer.

I´m not familiar to Plesk´so I have this kind of doubts.

Anyway, if you can suggest to the development team of Plesk, I think the best way to handle this issue is what we have in cPanel : You can choose between catchall, fail or blackhole.

Catchall is the same you have
Fail means to send a message to the sender telling that there´s no such acount
Blackhole (this is what I use) means silent discard from the server

This blackhole is useful because we don´t have to use our server to process e-mails from spammers, telling them that is not such a user... and we don´t have to work for them , creating an account and then, deleting the messages...

Anyway, thank you for your answer.

Back