• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question mailproxy for multiple Plesk servers

Goodfred

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu Server
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian
Hello everyone again!

We are thinking about to have one URL for multiple Plesk servers. (imap.plesk.tld, smtp.plesk.tld, imap.server2.tld, smtp.server3.tld)

The idea is, that we can give customers one URL for the mail configuration, and the system detects automaticly to which server it should route.

I've heared about the product Perdition and I was wondering, why I did not found something about it in this forum.

Now my question: Has someone experience with Perdition for the same case? Has someone experience with another solution for the same case? I've only heared about Perdition, NGINX configuration and another product, which name I can't find at the moment. :D

As I said: It would be cool to have one URL (imap.plesk.tld) for multiple servers ( mail.server.tld, in.anotherserver.tld etc. )

Im thankful for answers, I wish a good weekend and I stay with
kind regards
Goodfred

First off, I have zero experience with this type of setup. However, it sounds like an interesting idea. But I am not sure if and how this would work? Because how would a mailproxy know to connect a request to the right server?

Last edited:
To answer my own question; Perdition seems to be able to connect to a database for looking up which mailbox resides on which server. Since you're running multiple Plesk servers there is no centralized database that contains this data. So Perdition (or any other mailproxy for that matter) would have to perform a lookup on each server. Which isn't very scalable. Imagine the lookup time if you're running multiple servers. Not to not to mention the overhead on each lookup.

Also, Perdition development seems to have stalled. It's last updated in 2016.

I don't think a mailproxy would give you as big of a benefit as you might think/hope. But again, I have zero experience with this type of setup. So I might be wrong.

Last edited:
Does someone in here has a solution for the case which I've described?

I thought that much people are interested in such a technology, but it seems that we are mostly alone with it! :D

@Kaspar Thank you for your answer! :)

Hi,

It looks like a great solution, but as Kaspar said, the software is no longer maintained.

we had done it with nginx some scripts and a sql database.
but since plesk can handle multiple ssl certs for mailservice we disabled it.
now has every customer domain.com as smtp/imap/pop.

Back