• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Making Remote Back-ups

S

smkied

Hello!

I am new to Plesk (in fact, I haven't yet made an installation!).

I am wondering if it's possbile (and if yes, then how) to schedule full backups of my entire server on to another server via. FTP.

My server will be running Plesk 8 (since I guess I can't buy Plesk 7.5.4 anymore?).

Also, I'd like to tack on another question since I am quite novice in this whole server world overall. My managed server will be run by Rackspace. The configurations that I have chosen are:

Athlon 64 3200+
1GB DDR
2 x 73GB SCSI Raid 1 (Mirror)
500GB Monthly Bandwidth (Outgoing)

Will a server of these specs be able to handle roughly 700,000 hits per day? How would you guys rate the overall quality of hosting from Rackspace? I am buying my license seperately and directly from Plesk so that I don't have to pay Rackspace $105/month for it.

All and any responses are much appreciated. Thanks!

From what I've been hearing the latest version of Plesk v8 remote FTP backup was disabled, for what reason i do not know, and the only way you can pretty much do your own backups is setting up your second scsi drive to mirror your other drive. Other than that u can make FULL backups of your system using a utility such as 'tar' and then writing a script that uploads it to a remote server.

Some people have suggested using 'rsnapshot' to create incremental backups of your system.

Good luck with your backups. As far as the server performance on 700k+hits/day. I have no clue..

Rsnapshot: http://www.rsnapshot.org

also you can still get 7.5.4 once you purchase it is a avalable option all versions are the same price..

Okay well I've been tinkering around with rsnapshot for the past few days. Instead of waiting on the support staff to provide a working 'backup' utility im able to backup the entire PSA folder and transfer it to my home box on a weekly basis. BUT one thing that i'm not sure how to do is, my MAIN psa dir is /usr/local/psa so im backing up that. What other directories does PSA use that I should back up and how do i export the entire PSA db and back that up as well?

Anyone?

Nobody here can answer your question as 700k hits doesn't say anything.

700k in what? static images? static HTML or pages that do 15 large db queries a page? it kinda makes a huge difference...

Originally posted by smkied

I am wondering if it's possbile (and if yes, then how) to schedule full backups of my entire server on to another server via. FTP.

Check the documentation at http://www.swsoft.com/en/products/plesk8/docs/

There's a whole manual for the backup and restore utilities. I use Plesk 8's pleskbackup tool myself in a script that transfers the backups to a remote server using scp.

Back