• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Mapping postfix/dovecot logins

H9k

Regular Pleskian
Hi there! I'm in the situation where I want to migrate some 200 hostings to a Plesk server.

To ease migration for the clients, e.g. make it seamless, I want them to be able to continue to login with the same usernames for their mailboxes. Passwords are stored clear on the old system so I can copy those, so basically they should not notice anything once moved to Plesk. That is the idea at least...

Now on the old server, the usernames are not in the mailbox@domain format, but instead in the domain_mailbox format.
Is there a way to map those old-style usernames to the mailbox usernames in Postfix and Dovecot?

Hello!

If I understand correct, you tries to migrate from your hosting panel into Plesk using this guide http://docs.plesk.com/en-US/12.5/mi...rom-a-linux-server-with-custom-hosting.75604/, right?

Such problem like you describe also actual for migration from Confixx and there is following solution:

- For each mailbox insert into hosting description two entities: mailbox "domain_mailbox@domain" and alias for this mailbox "mailbox@domain".
- Turn on ability to login using short logins "domain_mailbox"

But there is major limitation of this approach: ability to use short logins available only for QMail and Courier-IMAP (see this guide: http://docs.plesk.com/en-US/12.5/ad...l/configuring-serverwide-mail-settings.59430/). Probably, Postfix and Dovecot support could be implemented in Plesk Onyx, but there is no guarantee.

Sorry for my late reply. I only just looked into the documentation for the migrator.
Your solution sounds like a good compromise. However, I happen to use Postfix/Dovecot. Qmail was the main reason for me to leave Plesk some years back, I really really hate that MTA. I returned to Plesk since it got Postfix and Dovecot support, but have a number of customers on another system (also Postfix/Dovecot btw.) which I want to migrate so I don't have to support two different environments.

By the way, how does the Migrator import DNS records? I see no hint about DNS in the sample yaml/json file.
But then, I don't really mind manually altering the zones for those customers that have custom records... The mail logins are way more important and could become a support nightmare.

I might have found a solution for the mailbox username for my case.
Since my source system uses PAM for authentication, apparently all I need to do is add a duplicate username to /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
So instead of having just this:
Code:
domain.tld_mailbox:<encryptedpassword>:12345::::::
I would have something like this:
Code:
[email protected]:<encryptedpassword>:12345::::::
domain.tld_mailbox:<encryptedpassword>:12345::::::
Tested it and it works fine!
This way I can provide customers some transition period, and I can check in the logs if anyone is still using the old username format for logging in.
Once transition is complete, I basically can migrate to Plesk.

Last edited:
Back