• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

MAPS Blocking Outgoing Messages

M

merkelt

In choosing which RBL's to use in my MAPS service, I have noticed that dnsbl.sorbs.net seems to have a very good list.

The problem is that when I start using dnsbl.sorbs.net, IT BLOCKS ME FROM SENDING EMAIL! I am using SMTP AUTH and Pop Lock to validate users. If someone passes that authentication, shouldn't that skip the MAPS validation?

Shouldn't MAPS only affect incoming mail messages?

I am using Fedora Core 2 and Pleask 7.5.4. Any help would be much apprecaited!

hi
i have the same probme...
i have deactivate MAPS check for the moment...

any solution about this problem?
maybe its possible to put the authenticated users on a whitelist....

MAPS protection should still allow authenticated users to send email, but it doesn't. Also, the white list doesn't work, although that's not a permanent solution either. Any fix for this?

Did you check the ip address that you are sending "from" to make sure it's not on the list at dnsbl.sorbs.net?

This is not your server's ip address but the ip address of your isp. It could be that your ISP has a series of blocked addresses.

even if the ip address is blacklisted, when a user authenticate yourself on the server, MAPS dont have to block him.

many users that get a dynamic ip cant send emails thru the server, when he gets an ip that is listed.....

That wasn't the way MAPS works for me. I send email from my office and from a remote office. The ip address at the remote office had an ip address that is listed. My MAPS setup blocked all connections to my mail server. I had to add
-a xx.xx.xx.xx
to the Serv Args to allow email email from the remote office.

If a user with a black listed ip address can send mail anyway, what is the use of MAPS?

i mean a users that is authenticated on the smtp server by username+password

MAPS should only be active for incoming mails, not for outgoing...then its ok.

I see what you mean, but that is still not the way it works on my server. MAPS does not allow any connection, incoming or a connection to send outgoing email - smtp authenticated or not, to my email server if the ip address is on any list that I have in MAPS.

And from the say it sounds, I bet that is not the way it works for Merkelt either.

So how do you turn off MAPS only for outgoing?

i turned off MAPS generaly. i dont know how i activate MAPS for incoming only.... you?

No, I'm afraid that I don't know how to activate for incoming only. Maybe someone else can give us some pointers on that...

Not much you can do here, if you use RBL then based on the way Qmail is designed you are screwed. The problem is that basically rblsmtpd is called first, and if the user is not blacklisted then it passes it through tthe standard Qmail & authentication.

I am personally not a big fan of Qmail, it is way too easy to screw up. And Qmail is way too disorganized from a distribution perspective, too many patches out there to bolt on features.

I personally prefer Postfix, it is fairly flexible and supports all of the common features you would expect of an MTA. Unfortunately Plesk is only built to work with Qmail, don't know if that will ever change.

Not sure how helpful this will be, but I had a ton of problems using MAPS. As soon as I would add in my zones, It would start causing problems with delivery/receiving. I started with 8 zones. In the end, the only one zone (sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org) would allow me operation without problems.

If your using multiple zones, you might want to try limiting yourself to one.

Like I said, not sure how useful that info is, but it was the only way I could get MAPS to function without causing me grief.

Hi,

I have the same proble since I got Plesk and start trying to use MAPS, for me it does not work for one zone either, the one I tried to use is:, sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org

But right away I can't send emails, and all my customers too.
I getting a lot of SPAM, need to activate MAPS but it blocks you out.!

Does anybody uses MAPS without any problems???

sw soft have to implement MAPS so that we can use it, so its no usable...

Back